Thermoformed mold idea

Katie Wilson
@kyle-wilson
12/04/14 11:47:54AM
18 posts

Hey guys,

I purchased custom molds from Tomric, and they look awesome. I am definitely happy with them apart from the bit of flexibility they have. I immediately began wondering if you could flip the mold over, exposing the underside, and fill it with some sort of resin to fill in the cavity, creating a solid block. Has anyone ever done this? It could be a cheaper alternative to purchasing the injection molds.

Any thoughts? suggestions?

updated by @kyle-wilson: 04/10/15 04:12:24PM
Potomac Chocolate
@ben-rasmussen
12/04/14 12:48:34PM
191 posts

Something like this was discussed in this thread: http://www.thechocolatelife.com/forum/topics/mold-release-ring-formation-issue-in-mold

In that one, though, the idea was to glue a rigid bar to the bottom of a mold.

For yours, I think you may have problems with the mold retaining temperature and the bars not cooling correctly. Do you warm your molds?

Katie Wilson
@kyle-wilson
12/04/14 01:05:57PM
18 posts

Thanks for the reply,

We currently do not warm the molds, and havent had issues (yet) as described in the link you added.

If the mold is filled in from below it would then contain a larger mass - wouldnt it then cool faster? I can only imagine a greater dispersion of heat from the chocolate into the mold itself. Its worth noting I am not knowledgeable in this by any means, and am just creating my own theories.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores