Cacao genetics

Fin
@fin
04/10/13 05:42:23PM
4 posts
I have 5-6 different cacao sub-species, can anyone identify by pod photos.
updated by @fin: 04/20/15 05:52:13PM
Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
04/10/13 06:12:47PM
527 posts

Hey Fin;

There is only one species, and it's calledTheobroma Cocoa. There are "varieties" though, and those varieties are primarily "Criollo" and "Forastero". There has been a lot of talk about a "Trinitario" variety, but I think these days claims of it existing are somewhat nebulous at best.

Typically Forastero pods are smooth and shaped like a footbal with rounded ends, while Criollohas a rough exterior, sometimes distinct ridges in the shell, and a fairly pronounced pointy tip. Color is a bit all over the board, but Criollo is often a very pale green(but can also be yellow), while Forastero is usually yellow or red when ripe.

Like I said though.... Color is less of an indicator than the shape and texture of the pods.

Hope that helps.

Brad

Sebastian
@sebastian
04/10/13 06:18:32PM
754 posts

No.

Fin
@fin
04/10/13 11:07:17PM
4 posts
Totally confirms what I thought but I have pictures and I am familiar with Latin

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores