List of Equipment Required for Small Scale Chocolate Business

TheChocolateMan
@thechocolateman
05/29/13 06:54:31AM
21 posts

Hi to everyone in this forum,

Can someone tell me what kind of equipment, utensils, accessories etc, I would require to start a small chocolate making business ?. As far as i understand, I will need molds, tempering machine. Please suggest.

updated by @thechocolateman: 04/10/15 11:43:53AM
Larry2
@larry2
05/29/13 08:14:58PM
110 posts

We are still a very young company, but have been able to get going with a usedHilliard Little Dipper tempering machine, a fist full of dipping forks, & cups/boxes I was able to secure. We make cream centers and are building up the ability to produce more volume.

Short list of equipment

- Book by P. GrewelingChocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner - It's fantastic and will really help. The latest edition has info on setting upa chocolate shop.

Tempering Machine (Many will say this is optional, but make your life easier & spring for it.)

Depending on if you'll do Ganache, Cream Fondant, Caramels... you'll need different pots, kettles. You'll be the best judge here.

Dipping Forks

Molds as you suggested.

We have used a Square& iPhoneto process credit/debit cards. It works fine.

Discovering that caramel will not stick to buttered parchment paper was a fantastic discovery for us.

a good thermometer or two

refrigerator

fire extinguisher

panning equipment is optional.

Display cases - Refrigeration may be needed

?? Humidity Controlled Display Cases??

a caramel cutter (rolling pin style) is useful, but you can get by with a knife & ruler.

assorted bowls, measuring spoons, cups, scale...

wax paper

Please forgive the disjointed list. Just to re-emphasis the book I listed above has been a great help to me and many others.

Thanks!

Larry

TheChocolateMan
@thechocolateman
05/30/13 03:07:27AM
21 posts

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the valuable info. I will buy the book and am sure it will be helpful. When did you start your chocolate business?

TheChocolateman

Andal Balu
@andal-balu
06/02/13 10:03:27PM
16 posts

Do you want to start from couverture or from beans?

TheChocolateMan
@thechocolateman
06/03/13 12:33:24AM
21 posts

I am kinda new in this industry, hence would like to start from couverture.

Larry2
@larry2
06/03/13 12:21:16PM
110 posts

Chocolate has been a family tradition for years and years, but we started selling last October.

TheChocolateMan
@thechocolateman
06/10/13 05:32:18AM
21 posts

Thanks, appreciate your honest reply.

Lisa Morley
@lisa-morley
01/14/14 05:16:13PM
15 posts

Hi Larry

Do you use your caramel cutter for ganache slabs? I'm just starting up a little chocolate business myself and if possible would prefer to not shell out thousands on a guitar cutter if I can just use a caramel cutter.

Cheers

Lisa

Chocotoymaker
@chocotoymaker
01/14/14 08:43:46PM
55 posts

You can just as easily use a pairing knife and a ruler. A little bit of practice and you,ll be able to get at least 100 square in 20 cuts. Total investment $ 5

Larry2
@larry2
01/15/14 02:39:23PM
110 posts

All our centers are fondant, so I can't really speak to how it would do for ganache.

With the fondant, we just use the caramel cutter to score the fondant and caramel, then cut it with a long chef's knife.

A guitar cutter is on my short list of equipment to buy though. I dream of how much time could be save with a guitar.

GretaHass
@gretahass
04/18/17 02:32:16AM
22 posts

Sounds good in this thread, hmm. Any recipes to shareeee.. :D

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores