cocoa beans with vinegar

mariano garcia
@mariano-garcia
03/19/15 11:39:47AM
61 posts

riends, I have problem, buy a bag of cocoa and chocolate when I did I realized I had a very acidic taste ..

It was when I realized that the seeds have vinegar smell. as I can get this smell to make chocolate?

thanks

updated by @mariano-garcia: 04/09/15 11:31:38PM
Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
03/19/15 07:42:06PM
527 posts

I hope I can help a little bit here...

The vinegar smell you are getting is actually acetic acid, a by-product of the fermentation process.  Depending on what the farmer does, some beans can be quite acidic.

There are two processes that you can take advantage of to lower the acidity of your chocolate:

1. Roasting - a lower temperature roast spread out over a long time can help.
  2. Conching - a long, open air conche will help as well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Brad

mariano garcia
@mariano-garcia
03/20/15 11:23:33AM
61 posts

Thanks Brad, you think that if I put the sun delete vinegar

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
03/21/15 02:13:31AM
527 posts

Mariano;

I don't think so, although if you live in a very warm climate it may work, but will take a long time.  At this point in time, the acetic acid is in crystal form and thoroughly embedded in the shell and the bean.  Heat from roasting is the best bet, and then a long conche.

My porcelana is VERY acidic and I have found that I have to roast those beans at a low temperature for almost 3 times longer than any other bean I have.  It seems to work very well, but even then I still have to conche for several days.  The end result however is an amazing, fruity, smooth chocolate.

Brad

mariano garcia
@mariano-garcia
03/23/15 07:21:53PM
61 posts

brad prefect, very good thanks for your help!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores