changing the belt on premier wonder grinder

James Hull
@james-hull
06/01/15 04:57:44AM
46 posts

Hi everyone,

my 2ltr tabletop premier wonder grinder has finally got to the stage where the belt is 'shedding' and creating black dust within the machine. I am looking to change the belt and saw in a few discussions about getting a powertwist belt, but i am not sure which one i would need, the only info on the belt i currently have is 'Ecodrive FHP 2190', so am unsure what that refers to as size etc. can anyone help? also i have been recommended a 'polyurethane belt' does anyone know if this is better or worse than a fibreglass one?

cheers,

James

updated by @james-hull: 07/07/15 05:37:25AM
Gap
@gap
06/01/15 05:27:07PM
182 posts

This website sells replacement parts for the Premiers. Might be best to contact them first and have a chat:

http://indichocolate.com/products/chocolate-machine-replacement-parts?variant=1168767445

I've also seen this photo (at the top of the thread)

http://chocolatetalk.proboards.com/thread/1572/premier-grinder-loosing-refining-ability?page=2

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
06/02/15 02:13:47AM
527 posts

Having been at this game now for almost 10 years, I've tried a lot of things.

The belt you want to switch to is a linking V belt.  They almost never stretch, are almost impossible to wear out, and are a collection of links which can easily be added or removed, or even replaced if you sieze the bowl and burn a spot on the belt.  

Check it out:  http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwist-plus/

I'm not sure where everyone is, but most transmission supply places carry them, or in North America, Acklands Grainger.

Brad

Lyndon
@lyndon
06/02/15 06:17:51AM
16 posts

As the owner of the above linked chain belt upgrade, I can't recommend it enough (it may cost you more than the machine though, but I felt it was worth it personally) I did have to make a few final alterations to it after that photo was taken, and the noise is down to a slightly more acceptable level.

I'm keen to try one of these power twist belts though, there is a fenner supplier local to me who I hope would be able to get one in, in the UK. I've been using a belt coating spray too which has helped (but not a lot)

James Hull
@james-hull
07/07/15 05:37:30AM
46 posts

I finally got round to ordering these powertwist belts, difficult to find here in the UK so unfortunately had to import them but hopefully will be worh the extra cost. The instructions are very over simplified, so will soon be creating a step by step photo guide to fitting the new belts which hopefully people will find useful. So far they are working great. they look like this when fitted:

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
10/23/15 01:40:08PM
28 posts

OK what size and type of powertwist belt do I need to order? They seem to have a good varierty.  Thank you

LLY
@lly
04/09/16 10:02:22AM
52 posts

Hi,

heard already on the Power Twist.

What is the width that I need to Premier Grinder? Approximate length of the belt?

In case that I will expand my business I will purchase bigger grinders like the Santha 11 or 20. The belts will fit to all sizes of grinders?

I ponder if to buy regular belt or PowerTwist, and if so what will be the length?

Thank's

updated by @lly: 04/11/16 09:11:49AM
Thomas Snuggs
@thomas-snuggs
04/09/16 10:51:57AM
23 posts

Below is a link to Amazon for the belt I purchased and used on the Primier 1.5 L. It takes 23 links to make the right size belt and you will can make four belts from this length. I don't know if the 2L Primier uses the same size.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerTwist-V-Belt-Profile-Width-Length/dp/B00CLG38JQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445901088&sr=8-2&keywords=powertwist+v-belt

updated by @thomas-snuggs: 04/09/16 01:14:22PM
LLY
@lly
04/09/16 11:01:56PM
52 posts

Thank you!

Anyone knows if the 3/8'' will fit also bigeer machines? The shipping is not cheap..

updated by @lly: 04/11/16 08:43:32AM
Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
04/10/16 08:24:47AM
28 posts

Not sure what you mean by "bigger machines" but they work well on the 1.5L and 2 L premier wonder wet grinders.

LLY
@lly
04/10/16 09:31:39AM
52 posts

I mean Santha 11,20 and bigger..

There is no point to purchase belt when it can fit just to small malengers. I aim to enlarge my business

updated by @lly: 04/11/16 08:56:31AM
Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
04/10/16 01:12:18PM
28 posts

Hard to argue with that.  I am also looking for the best alternative to step out of the "hobby" melangers and into a real machine.  Then on to the tempering machine. In answer to your question, I have no idea.

Erin
@erin
05/31/16 07:21:31PM
30 posts

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. I sell the upgraded belts as well as better gears for the demands of making chocolate on my website ( http://indichocolate.com/products/chocolate-machine-replacement-parts?variant=1168767445).

LLY
@lly
02/13/17 10:56:28AM
52 posts

Hello,

I'm using the 3/8'' round belt to my Premier Grinder and Santha 11. 

I did not understand if I need the V or the round belt or it doesn't really matter? The round belt was relatively reliable and bare hundreds of hours of operation. As I recall the poly is more rounded than V shape.

Thank's!

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
05/01/17 12:33:55PM
28 posts

Hello Lly,  I am still having trouble with the link belts, however, better than a standard "V" belt.  I was taken with the idea of the round belt and invested in belting as well as the welding tool and clamp.  I can make very nice belts but they are not holding up running them through "V" pulleys.  Finding round pulleys is a very difficult job so I am currently working on making my own while still looking for a good supplier of the round belt pulleys in the USA.  Seriousl looking at the chain option!!

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
05/01/17 12:37:49PM
28 posts

Brad Churchill:

Having been at this game now for almost 10 years, I've tried a lot of things.

The belt you want to switch to is a linking V belt.  They almost never stretch, are almost impossible to wear out, and are a collection of links which can easily be added or removed, or even replaced if you sieze the bowl and burn a spot on the belt.  

Check it out:  http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwist-plus/

I'm not sure where everyone is, but most transmission supply places carry them, or in North America, Acklands Grainger.

Brad

Hello Brad,  I'm having trouble with the powertwist belts as they crack and wear out.  I am in a warm climate and my machines get pretty hot when loaded up.  I think that is the problem so I may need to keep them cooler.  I am experimenting with the round belts but have not been able to find a good source for the round belt pulleys.

Looking at chains next.......kind of like going over a snow covered pass in Colorado....if all else fails put on chains!!  Thank you for your help, as always.

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
05/01/17 12:43:36PM
28 posts

Lyndon:

As the owner of the above linked chain belt upgrade, I can't recommend it enough (it may cost you more than the machine though, but I felt it was worth it personally) I did have to make a few final alterations to it after that photo was taken, and the noise is down to a slightly more acceptable level.

I'm keen to try one of these power twist belts though, there is a fenner supplier local to me who I hope would be able to get one in, in the UK. I've been using a belt coating spray too which has helped (but not a lot)

Hello Lyndon,  Can you please post the photo of the linked chain belt upgrade so I have something to look at, it does not appear to still be there?.  I am frustrated with every belt I have tried and believe the chain may be the answer.  Any information on where to get the sprockets and chain will help but the photo is paramount.  You can send it direct if you want to: bocajim1@gmail.com

Thank you

LLY
@lly
05/01/17 01:53:12PM
52 posts

Jim Cameron:

Hello Lly,  I am still having trouble with the link belts, however, better than a standard "V" belt.  I was taken with the idea of the round belt and invested in belting as well as the welding tool and clamp.  I can make very nice belts but they are not holding up running them through "V" pulleys.  Finding round pulleys is a very difficult job so I am currently working on making my own while still looking for a good supplier of the round belt pulleys in the USA.  Seriousl looking at the chain option!!

I used the round power twist 3/8 and it goes for about 500-600 hours in my santha 11. Is it a decent amount of time running on the same belt? I'm now upgraded myself to the V one, as I concluded according to forum members that it will work better both for santha and premier.

I will be happy to hear other options for belts too.

Lyndon
@lyndon
05/01/17 01:57:43PM
16 posts

I'll dig them out, but I litterally just swapped the belt with a chain, and the pulleys with cogs, so it's no different in layout or sizes to the original belt system. However, you'll need to add an extra sprocket to tighten the chain. I didn't, and it wore down the teeth after a few months because the chain wasn't quite tight enough.

I swapped back to linked belts after that, which I still use now, even though they need to be replaced every couple of months or less. I've been building my own 20 litre capacity stone grinder for a while though now, so rather than improving the small ones, I've been focused on that.

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
05/01/17 02:10:58PM
28 posts

Lyndon:

I'll dig them out, but I litterally just swapped the belt with a chain, and the pulleys with cogs, so it's no different in layout or sizes to the original belt system. However, you'll need to add an extra sprocket to tighten the chain. I didn't, and it wore down the teeth after a few months because the chain wasn't quite tight enough.

I swapped back to linked belts after that, which I still use now, even though they need to be replaced every couple of months or less. I've been building my own 20 litre capacity stone grinder for a while though now, so rather than improving the small ones, I've been focused on that.

Thank you for your help, I truly appreciate it.  WOW, that is a project to build a stone grinder...can you build a few?  We all need them.

OK, I ordered the sprockets and chain and am looking forward to experimenting.  I am going to use this on the 2 liter machine that does have a tightening mechanism so I should be OK.  Guess I need to order some ear plugs too ;-).

Please do send along the photo when you find it and stay in touch.

Kindly,

Jim Cameron

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
05/01/17 02:11:58PM
28 posts

Anyone been able to find a good source for round belting pulleys in the USA or reachable location?

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
05/01/17 02:14:42PM
28 posts

I am going to try 9 tooth to 30 tooth.  I extrapolated which is the only math I remember from High School as I use it often. It came out 9/27 but the choices were 25 or 30. Will share when I see how it works.

mitch
@mitch
05/02/17 10:14:24AM
9 posts

Jim Cameron:

Anyone been able to find a good source for round belting pulleys in the USA or reachable location?

No idea if this is anything like what you're looking for (dimensions? load?) but here are some: 

https://www.mcmaster.com/#round-belt-pulleys/=17g939t

updated by @mitch: 05/02/17 10:14:59AM

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores