How the heck do I do that?

moragreid
@moragreid
07/24/17 06:07:22PM
5 posts

Hello Chocolate Collective,

I recently took over a business from a local chocolatier and have been asked to repeat job that the previous owner has done for the past 2 years. The company makes a widget, and has it recreated in molds (see attached). The molds come is two pieces and fit together. The previous owner had duck-taped a hinge along one side - which can't be hygienic, but while they fit together, they don't stay together (if that makes sense).

He has asked me to make a total of 3500 of these. What is the most efficient way to do this? Should I mold it separately and then and stick it together or try to mold it as a single unit? I have attached an image of the two pieces. Any thoughts would be great.

Thoughts?

Morag

20170724_154429.jpg
20170724_154429.jpg  •  455KB

Lynda Brent
@lynda-brent
07/25/17 01:33:59PM
11 posts

Don't use duct tape.  There are clips that are a "O" shape that will hold them that are open and clip to the edges of the mold (I think all the chocolate mold companies sell these like chocolate world or tomric) or you can use the big black binder clips.  They can be washed and sanitized easily. 

moragreid
@moragreid
07/25/17 01:52:12PM
5 posts

Thank you Lynda. I know the clips of which you speak. So, in your opinion, I should just fill it enough for both sides and then clip the sides, as opposed to filling each side and then sticking it together? 

Lynda Brent
@lynda-brent
07/25/17 02:32:24PM
11 posts

Did the last owner make them solid or partially hollow or hollow?  

For hollow--You could fill one side, clip the other side on and shake bubbles out and rotate to evenly coat the mold (much harder way to do this as you could get air bubbles that won't come out).

For partial air pockets in the piece--You could fill both sides with chocolate, shake the bubbles out, them put them together with clips.  You will still have a few air pockets but they should not surface to the top to been seen.  This is simpler than above but can be kind of messy if the chocolate starts to pour out when putting together.

Or to make them solid--you can fill both sides, let harden, take them out of the mold and "glue" them with chocolate to create the finished piece.  I use an angled icing knife from cake decorating to glue chocolate pieces together with tempered chocolates.

moragreid
@moragreid
07/25/17 08:44:13PM
5 posts

I think they were solid. I asked him to send me pictures from the last time. They were not well done I can tell you that. Thanks for your advice. Greatly appreciate it.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores