Induction Cooktops and Digital Thermometers

Alan B
@alan-b
06/14/15 11:44:20PM
7 posts

Dear 'Chocolate Lifers,'

I was hoping to get some advice on using a digital thermometer with induction cooktops. I have tried both a probe type (Maverick CT-03 Oil and Candy Thermometer) and a cable type (Thermoworks Chefalarm) thermometer and, neither appears to give consistent readings. I tested both of them in a pot of boiling water and noticed that the readings of each thermometer fluctuated by several degrees depending on the power setting. I am assuming that the magnetic field from the cooktop is affecting the digital thermomers? So, are there any digital thermometers that can work with induction cooktops? Or, should I just go back to a hot cooktop? I've considered the old style glass thermometers but, find it hard to read and not as precise as digital ones.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Alan B

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
06/16/15 02:45:59PM
194 posts

I was curious about this, so I called Thermoworks. They told me that induction cooktops do not affect their thermometers in any way. Interesting.

Ka Small
@ka-small
06/16/15 06:27:54PM
2 posts

I also purchased 2 of the Thermoworks thermometers and was not impressed. Readings off the wall. We decided to purchase a couple of digital thermometers from Amazon based upon a chef consultant we hired. We calibrated both (2 degrees off both) and use them with lots of success. Nice magnetic feature and long cord.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00046YFHE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gap
@gap
06/16/15 06:52:21PM
182 posts

Just throwing it out there - could it be to do with the induction cooktop as well as the thermometer? I use a cheap probe thermometer and have never had any problems with it. My induction cooktop is professional quality - not one of the cheaper portable units.

Nothing to back this up, just a thought that maybe all induction cooktops are not the same.

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
06/16/15 07:29:41PM
194 posts

Ka Small:
I also purchased 2 of the Thermoworks thermometers and was not impressed. Readings off the wall. We decided to purchase a couple of digital thermometers from Amazon based upon a chef consultant we hired. We calibrated both (2 degrees off both) and use them with lots of success. Nice magnetic feature and long cord. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00046YFHE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

I have 4 Thermoworks thermometers and have been very happy with them. I wondered if they were calibrated the same, so I drove them down to their headquarters. (It is nice that they are about 45 minutes away:). They check them all and they were right on. I know I could do it myself, but I had another issue I needed looked at.

Alan B
@alan-b
06/19/15 08:37:43PM
7 posts

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Ruth, I also called tech support at Thermoworks and they told me the few thermometers they checked were not affected by induction cooktops. However, they have received calls from some customers mentioning this issue. Ruth, are you using a portable induction cooktop or one that's part of a range? @Gap, I think you may be on to something. Because I have way too much time on my hands I tested 3 digital thermometers on a range induction cooktop and a hot cooktop. All three showed fluctuating readings by a several degrees (210-215) on the induction cooktop and did not read 212 F in boiling water. On the hot cooktop the readings were steady and 1 of the 3 read 212.1, one read 213. and one was way off (215). The accurate one is the Thermoworks Calibration Thermometer and worked as expected on the hot cooktop. Since the other two thermometers are only accurate to within about 2 degrees, I suppose they worked as expected on the hot cooktop too. So, it appears all of my digital thermometers are affected by my induction cooktop.

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
06/19/15 09:54:29PM
194 posts

My induction is a portabe professional cooktop. Are you at sea level? Have you tried the test with a sugar solution? 

Alan B
@alan-b
06/22/15 02:23:32AM
7 posts

I'm about 250 ft above sea level, if my garmin bike computer is accurate! I have tried it with sugar syrup solutions and found the same fluctuation on induction cooktops. Since I really prefer induction, I'll do some futher experimenting and investigating. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Tags