Cooling the Chocolate Shop/ Production Area

Amber Stoby
@amber-stoby
02/22/16 02:29:35PM
2 posts

I just got a quote for a heat pump in my facility, in order to be able to use my Selmi (One) during the summer months here in BC.

Does anyone have any comments, experience or insights into this chicken and egg situation?  I have in the past, just accepted that my production slows in the summer.  But business is thriving, and living in a tourism driven town, our population triples in the summer.  I don't want to begin to market to a segment and not be able to deliver, but I also don't want to invest a few thousand only to find it was the wrong thing to do.

I've squeaked by with a portable air con unit in the past, but results were only mediocre, and venting was an issue.  It ended up making other areas in the space too tropical...

Our space is a concrete building.  The production area is only about 14 x 20, but a wall (with door) separates that into an area approximately the same size.  Also.. I rent the space, so I'm pretty conflicted about this expense.

updated by @amber-stoby: 02/22/16 02:33:51PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
02/22/16 03:10:07PM
1,680 posts

Amber -

Without the ability to vent your options are limited. Is there existing HVAC system in the space (in the ceiling) that you can tie into?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Amber Stoby
@amber-stoby
02/22/16 04:19:23PM
2 posts

Hi Clay,

Thanks for your response. 

No, there is nothing at the moment.  Its essentially just a concrete box.  An older mixed use building, cinderblocks with a roof is about it. 

The HVAC guy I talked to, said we could also look at just venting out air from the production area- but that would only really work during months where there was cooler air to draw from (outdoors I suppose).

He was very pro-heat pump in a general fashion, saying they are quite efficient energy wise, can provide heating and cooling, and would help to control humidty as well...  Also that as far as size goes, my needs were pretty minimal.

Sebastian
@sebastian
02/23/16 04:31:23PM
754 posts

Is it feasible to build a 'room in a room' - where you environmentally control the inner room, and discharge / draw from the outer room?  That way you're helping to mitigate your energy costs by focusing them on a smaller space.  Put an aircon unit through the wall and have it pull in air from the 'outer' room.

Tags