recommended scale to weigh ingredients?

beth campbell
@beth-campbell
01/08/17 01:07:45PM
40 posts

hi there, 

I am looking to purchase a scale that will be able to handle heavy items and will not time out. I currently use a low end digital scale that times out and also can only handle 5 kg.  I need to be able to weigh my coverture before adding inclusions.  can folks let me know what scales they use?  I will also use it to weigh ingredients especially now that my batches will be increasing in size, so it needs to handle at least 10kg or hopefully more.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Clay Gordon
@clay
01/08/17 01:57:49PM
1,680 posts

Beth -

The real question here is what accuracy do you need at the low end?

A scale with a max range of 15kg might only have a resolution of 5gr. That would be okay for measuring 10kg of couverture, but might not be okay for measuring some other ingredients you might add. So you would need to consider a separate scale for measuring small amounts.

An inexpensive digital "pocket" scales can measure up to a kilo at .1gr resolution for under $20 (but don't forget to order a calibration weight if you buy one of these). It's going to be cheaper to buy two scales than to get a scale that can weigh out 15kg with a resolution of .1gr. A 15kg scale with a resolution of 2gr can have a discounted cost of about ~US$160 before shipping. A 15kg scale with a resolution of .1gr will cost at least US$100 more.

While you don't need a washdown scale, there are scales in the ~$160 price range that are NSF rated.

I routinely use the Affordable Scales web site to locate scales for specific uses ... you could do this and then find a supplier in Canada if they don't ship.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
beth campbell
@beth-campbell
01/08/17 02:05:29PM
40 posts

thanks very much for your response Clay.  I have a small jeweler scale for .001 g items and that has been very useful for small amounts.  I will look into that website.

beth campbell
@beth-campbell
01/08/17 02:10:58PM
40 posts

And to avoid the timing out issue, would you recommend a non digital scale?  I often tare a vessel to weigh into and then add some ingredients and come up against some issue which causes me to need more time, and then the scale turns itself off.  And I have to start all over again.  I find this very frustrating and feel there must be another way to do it.  I am sure there are scales that do not turn off?  Or at least give you the option. 

Clay Gordon
@clay
01/08/17 02:39:17PM
1,680 posts

beth campbell:

And to avoid the timing out issue, would you recommend a non digital scale?  I often tare a vessel to weigh into and then add some ingredients and come up against some issue which causes me to need more time, and then the scale turns itself off.  And I have to start all over again.  I find this very frustrating and feel there must be another way to do it.  I am sure there are scales that do not turn off?  Or at least give you the option. 

The manual for the scale does mention that there is auto-shutoff for the display, but not the scale. I would contact Ohaus directly to find out for sure. There may be a difference when it's on battery as opposed to being plugged in. BTW, the scale I linked to is well liked on Amazon. (You could also ask the question of the users who reviewed the scale on Amazon about the auto-shutoff.)

I did learn that it's possible to purchase a beam scale with a tare function but I cannot find one with a capacity of over 2kg.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Kerry
@kerry
01/15/17 02:29:06PM
288 posts

My Weigh makes fabulous scales - the models i've used have delayed turnoff. The iBalance 11000 goes to 11kg. 

http://myweigh.com/balances/

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca

Tags