70% cocoa

Jackie Jones
@jackie-jones
12/07/12 02:20:32PM
15 posts

I have a client that wants solid chocolate in a very high cocoa content (he is an ironman participant) for Christmas Gifts. Where could I order not a huge volumeof really good dark dark chocolate? Like 100 lbs to start...

updated by @jackie-jones: 06/29/23 06:49:02PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
12/07/12 03:54:18PM
1,680 posts

Jackie:

Online - 100 lbs is a lot to ship, but there are on-line stores you can order from. Chocosphere has one of the broadest selections, but it's in Oregon so shipping to you is going to be most expensive. So going ...

Local -

There should be a bakery supply company in your area. They will usually carry a number of different chocolate brands, most likely the more commercial brands. They may or may not require you to set up an account, but the ones in my area will sell to just about anyone.

If you have a friend in a restaurant (or bakery) who orders through Sysco, UNFI, or another major distributor they also carry major brands and you might be able to get them to include the chocolate you want in their next order. You'll get good prices and shipping should be free.

If you're looking for a particular brand, e.g., Valrhona, Domori, Callebaut, Guittard, look up the company web site for their local distributor or call the 800# to find out who sells it locally.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Jackie Jones
@jackie-jones
12/07/12 04:05:16PM
15 posts

I usually purchase about 1000 lbs at the time & have it delivered by truck.

I wanted to try out a dark chocolate before buying in bulk. 100 lbs would probably

do my customers for Christmas. Could not remember the different brands, so you have really helped me. Thanks!

Jackie Jones
@jackie-jones
12/07/12 04:15:19PM
15 posts

In your opinion, would you start with Valrhona?

To test for solid molds..... 70%

Clay Gordon
@clay
12/07/12 04:29:17PM
1,680 posts

What's your budget? And is your customer sophisticated enough to tell the difference and be willing to pay for it?

Valrhona is a good chocolate but it's at the upper end of the range, price wise. Even in 100lb quantities you're looking at $8+/pound plus shipping.

Callebaut/Cacao Barry, Belcolade, Guittard - you should be able to get those for between $3-5/lb. Domori would be about the same price as Valrhona.

If you're remelting and molding, unless the customer has specified a gourmet European brand, perhaps a US-made product might be nice. Guittard is made in California. There are some Callebaut-branded chocolates that are made in Vermont.

I may be able to help you out on the Guittard and/or Valrhona if you can't find a local supplier.

--
Jackie Jones
@jackie-jones
12/07/12 04:35:38PM
15 posts

I have tried the Guittard samples before. No my customers are not sophicated enough to know the difference & $8/lb would not fly I am sure. So I guess Guittard it will be...

if I have difficulties obtaining trial amount, I'll let you know. Thanks so much!

I have always used Peters, but need a higher cocoa content product for a few clients.

Do want to test before I go crazy ordering. Maybe they can help me with this.

Jackie Jones
@jackie-jones
12/07/12 04:43:53PM
15 posts

Just called Peters and they do have a 70% bittersweet.

I'll go back to their brochures before I order Monday.

Clay Gordon
@clay
12/07/12 04:44:48PM
1,680 posts

Guittard has a range of chocolates with 70%+ cocoa content. Many of them are available in bar form and you might be able to find them at a local retailer. This will be cheaper than buying samples in either 1k or 5kg boxes.

--
Jackie Jones
@jackie-jones
12/07/12 04:58:18PM
15 posts

Thanks. I live an hour from any size town...2 hrs from Raleigh....

so maybe there.

ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
12/12/12 05:15:39AM
251 posts

Swiss Chalet Fine Foods sells Felchlin but the cheapest I saw on their website was Cru Hacienda Elvesia 74%Rondo in 6 kg bags for$6.75/lb. Others are $8+to over $11/lb. Sounds like it's too expensive for what you want.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores