Looking for Viable chocolate grating options

Katie Wilson
@kyle-wilson
05/17/16 03:52:55PM
18 posts

Hey everyone,

I have a few culinary clients who are wanting shredded chocolate rather than in block form, which makes sense. I have researched equipment, even a few machines I could re-purpose and maybe get away with.

Im looking for a chocolate grater / flaker / shredder that someone isn't using and would like to sell. Or recommendations to specific pieces that you've used. Volume is minimal, maybe 5lbs / day (but willing to buy larger for scale).

Thanks!

updated by @kyle-wilson: 06/29/23 06:49:02PM
Kerry
@kerry
05/19/16 08:44:57PM
288 posts

Design and Realization in Montreal has an electric grater. I believe TCF sales in the US also sells - look under cutting. 

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Potomac Chocolate
@ben-rasmussen
05/20/16 08:40:30AM
191 posts

I do a 'pulverized' chocolate for a couple customers. Essentially, I just break chocolate blocks into smaller chunks and then put them in a food processor for a little bit. It does a pretty good job. One day, I really want to have one of the automatic shredders like Kerry mentions ( https://www.tcfsales.com/products/c123-chocolate-shavers-automatic/ )

I've also just bought a couple heavier-duty vegetable peelers/julienners to test for exactly this purpose. This one works incredibly well:

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Kitchenware-Stainless-Julienne-Vegetable/dp/B00FF75XG4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_

With that, I was able to shred 5 lbs in 10 or 15 minutes. It works best if the block of chocolate is no thicker than the width of the blade.

I'm not sure how much I'll end up using it, though, as I need to do 20-50 lbs every so often and my hand starts to cramp up after 10 or so.  :)

Kerry
@kerry
05/20/16 07:12:52PM
288 posts

I do have great success shredding nicely with my little Bosch Compact stand mixer with the shredding attachment - amazingly strong for a little piece of equipment.

--
www.eztemper.com

Potomac Chocolate
@ben-rasmussen
05/21/16 10:43:51AM
191 posts

Kerry: do you have any problem with chocolate starting to melt when using that attachment? I've tried to use the shredding blades in my food processor, but they move too fast and the chocolate starts to melt. Same with an ice shredder.

How much have you done at once?

Kerry
@kerry
05/25/16 08:55:54PM
288 posts

It actually works pretty well - as long as the room and chocolate isn't too hot

--
www.eztemper.com

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores