Any bulk organic, fair trade or Rainforest Alliance certified quality couverture chocolate available?

Mimi Wheeler
@mimi-wheeler
10/21/10 08:55:18AM
14 posts
I have problems buying enough chocolate, working primarily with a small Rainforest Alliance certified chocolate company. This has been a problem off and on for the last 7 years. I am considering Columbian Santander, made by a company that has a statements on their website about paying farmers fair wages and work with sustainable practices. Does anyone have advice for me? Thank you Mimi
updated by @mimi-wheeler: 06/29/23 06:49:02PM
Nat
@nat
10/21/10 09:07:02AM
75 posts
Rapunzel has bulk organic couverture, but I don't think much of the taste given the rapadura sugar that's used to make it, giving it a strong molasses taste.
Mark J Sciscenti
@mark-j-sciscenti
10/22/10 01:49:24PM
33 posts
Check out Grenada Chocolate, from the island of Grenada. They are certified orgainc and go beyond the fair-trade standards. Contact Mott, he is the owner.
Mimi Wheeler
@mimi-wheeler
10/25/10 01:18:07PM
14 posts
Called and talked to Grenada Chocolate. They do not sell bulk chocolatier but only bars and cocoa. Thanks anyway Mark!
Mimi Wheeler
@mimi-wheeler
10/25/10 01:23:37PM
14 posts
thanks Nat. I will not even contact them with your description. Mimi
Lourdes Paez
@lourdes-paez
10/26/10 05:34:12AM
4 posts
Hi Mimi, what sort of chocolate are you looking for? I work with cacao farmers and chocolate makers in Ecuador, and can put you in touch if your requirements fit their products
Eve P.
@eve-p
01/01/11 09:03:42PM
1 posts
I know this is a late repost, but there is a compagny called Belcolade who made great belgian chocolate, and they're part of the rain forest alliance. There's Cacao Barry too, that have come up this year with a new line of 3 fair-trade /organic chocolates, black milk and white. It should be easy to find since Barry distribute Callebaut.
Dale Anderson
@dale-anderson
03/22/11 08:57:05AM
9 posts

Mimi,

Sweet Earth Chocolates is a good source for Fair Trade/Organic certified bulk couverture chips (65%, 54%, 34% milk, and white). Other companies that I know of (Ciranda, Puratos) have minimum orders that are several thousand dollars.

Sweet Earth's contact info:
Sweet Earth Chocolates

1491 Monterey St.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401Phone (805) 544-7759
info@sweetearthchocolates.com
Fax (805) 544-7756

http://www.sweetearthchocolates.com
Wholesale orders:
Chips come in 25 lb increments (full bag), but can be ordered by the pound (for more).
5% off 50 lb orders
10% off 100 lb orders

Hope that this helps,

Dale Anderson

Confections With Convictions

116 W. Crosstown Pkwy., Ste. 101

Kalamazoo, MI 49001

Joseph Meza
@joseph-meza
02/14/12 10:23:23AM
7 posts

Mimi

I am working with a group of local farmers close to Mindo. We practice what we call direct trade. I pay these farmers 3 times what they are getting from middle men. We can produce quite a bit of couverture and we can make it to your specifications. If you are interested we can talk more about it.

Mimi Wheeler
@mimi-wheeler
02/14/12 12:18:52PM
14 posts

HI Joe,

My posting is quite old and since then I have expanded to use chocolate from other south american countries. I am all set right no- but thanks. Unfortunately Norm and I will not be coming to Ecuador this spring- tickets became too expensive because we acted late on shopping. I might be coming down in November. I hope that you and Barbara are well! I advertise Mindo Chocolate when I can!

Warm regards, Mimi

Rhoda Anderson
@rhoda-anderson
02/15/12 10:51:47AM
1 posts

Mimi- I've been buying the Akoma brand from Guittard because they're fair-trade and will let me buy in 50# bags if I talk to someone personally. I'm curious about the ones you've found. Would you tell me about them?

Rhoda

Mimi Wheeler
@mimi-wheeler
02/15/12 11:08:55AM
14 posts
I use a combo ofVintage Chocolate, NYC, Santander and El Rey. My profile is all South Amerrica and about 70 percent cocoa. best to you! mimi
ari salomon
@ari-salomon
02/15/12 02:27:45PM
4 posts

I recommend TCHO. They are a great company doing very innovative things from their factory right here in San Francisco. I have been eating and baking with their chocolate for years now and it never disappoints. It's got an overall more fruity taste but their flavors vary.

some products are organic, some fair trade certified and others go beyond since they work with farmers directly.

see:

http://www.tcho.com/shop/chocolate/baking

http://www.tcho.com/shop/wholesale

Mimi Wheeler
@mimi-wheeler
02/16/12 08:22:17AM
14 posts

Thanks. I do know their product and i met them a while back in NYC. Thanks! Mimi

ari salomon
@ari-salomon
02/16/12 03:06:43PM
4 posts

did you like their products? i've been following their new products and have enjoyed their 99% offering - but it's too expensive at this point and not available in bulk.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • one month ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores