Bean to bar chocolate makers

Casey
@casey
03/01/08 11:11:54AM
54 posts

Here is a list of bean to bar makers. It is not a list of ethical companies or artisan chocolate makers. It simply means that these companies all make their chocolate all the way from raw cacao beans to the molded bar. This list is the result of an ongoing project conducted at 70%, where members maintain a discussion and make attempts to verify that each company on this list actually makes chocolate from raw beans. The reason for verification is that sometimes companies wish to sound hip and trendy and so they claim to be bean bar. The idea is to have some type of definitive list going of who actually makes chocolate from the bean for RETAIL (not solely commercial, industrial, sale).

Africa

Madecasse (Madagascar)
Claudio Corallo (So Tom)
Divine Chocolate

Australia
Haigh's Chocolates
Tava (factory is currently not operational)

Zokoko

Europe
Austria
Zotter

Belgium
Barry Callebaut
Pierre Marcolini

Denmark
Carletti
TOMS Gruppen

France
Bernachon
Bonnat
Michel Cluizel
Pralus
Valrhona
Weiss

Germany
Euromar
Hachez
Herza
Ludwig
Ludwig Weinrich
Storck

Italy
Amedei

Antica Dolceria Bonajuto

Casa Don Puglisi

Cioccolato Peyrano
DeBondt
Domori
Ferrero
ICAM
Majani

Venchi

Spain
Chocovic (now owned by Barry Callebaut)
Natra

Sweden
Malm Chokladfabrik

Swizerland
Confiserie Berner
Felchlin

United Kingdom
Cadbury-Schweppes
Red Star
Sir Hans Sloane
Willie's Cacao

North America

Canada
Soma Chocolatemaker

United States
Amano
Askinosie

Bittersweet Origins

Black Mountain Chocolate
Cacao Atlanta
Cacao Prieto
DeVries
Escazu

Fresco Chocolate

Guittard

Jacques Torres (no longer in production)
Kraft
Lindt (not a US company)
Mars
Mast Brothers

Mindo Chocolate Maker
Nestle (technically not a US company)

Oakland Chocolate Company

Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory
Patric Chocolate

Potomac Chocolate

Rogue Chocolatier
Scharffen Berger

Snake and Butterfly

Taza
TCHO
Theo

Latin America/ Caribbean
AMMA (Brazil)
Chocolates Condor (Bolivia)
Chocolates Para Ti (Bolivia)
Cooperativa Naranjillo (Peru)
Cotton Tree Chocolate (Belize)
Danta Chocolate (Guatemala)
El Castillo del Cacao (Nicaragua)
El Ceibo (Bolivia)
El Rey (Venezuela)
Fenix (Argentina)
Grenada Chocolate Company (Grenada)
Hacienda Bukare (Venezuela)
Kallari (Ecuador)
Momotombo Chocolate Factory (Nicaragua)
Pacari (Ecuador)
Rain Republic Chocolate (Guatemala)
Santander (Colombia)

updated by @casey: 04/09/15 11:57:06AM
Clay Gordon
@clay
03/01/08 03:40:46PM
1,680 posts
Casey:Thanks for posting this and pointing me to that discussion. It's quite interesting and nuanced, even discussing whether or not a company that starts from liquor (as opposed to roasting their own beans should be included).

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Clay Gordon
@clay
04/23/08 09:29:37AM
1,680 posts
There is a similar discussion on American bean-to-bar companies here .Any questions or updates about the American companies on this list should be directed to that forum thread .Information, comments, and thoughts about non-US companies (including Mexico and Canada) should go here.

--
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
04/26/08 06:23:36PM
251 posts
Casey,Thank you very much for this thorough and excellent list!How about Dolfin from Belgium? Are they bean to bar? If they're not, then does anyone know where they get their chocolate from? I've been sampling a lot of Dolfin's flavors recently, so It would help to know.
Clay Gordon
@clay
04/26/08 10:53:43PM
1,680 posts
To the Italian list add Venchi, Antica Dolceria Bonajuto, and Don Puglisi. To the German list add Coppeneur.I am fairly certain that the chocolate Dolfin uses is sourced from Belcolade.Also, although Vintage Plantations is headquartered here in New Jersey, manufacturing is all done in Ecuador.

--
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
04/26/08 11:40:43PM
251 posts
Updated list, minus the U.S. makers:(minus the hyperlinks too)AfricaMalagasy (Madagascar)Claudio Corallo (So Tom)AustraliaHaigh's ChocolatesTavaEuropeAustriaZotterBelgiumBarry CallebautPierre MarcoliniDenmarkCarlettiTomsFranceBernachonBonnatChocolaterie de L'OperaMichel CluizelPralusValrhonaWeissGermanyCoppeneurEuromarHachezHerzaLudwigLudwig WeinrichStorckItalyAmedeiAntica Dolceria BonajutoCioccolato PeyranoDeBondtDomoriDon PuglisiFerreroICAMMajaniVenchiSpainChocovicNatraSwedenMalm ChokladfabrikSwizerlandConfiserie BernerFelchlinUnited KingdomCadbury-SchweppesSir Hans Sloane of LondonNorth AmericaCanadaSoma ChocolatemakerUnited States(On other thread)South America & CaribbeanArgentinaFenixColombiaSantanderEcuadorVintage PlantationsGrenadaGrenada Chocolate CompanyNicaraguaEl Castillo del CacaoVenezuelaEl ReyHacienda Bukare
Clay Gordon
@clay
04/28/08 11:20:33AM
1,680 posts
All:I have created a simple database that will enable us to track these companies more easily. It is located here .PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANY MORE COMPANY NAMES HERE. Please add them in the database. If you have added a company to this list, please consider making an entry in the database for it.Thanks in advance,:: Clay

--
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
05/01/08 08:29:32AM
251 posts
What about Chocolove (Boulder, CO, USA), Frey (Switzerland), and Dolfin (Belgium)-- are they bean to bar?
Clay Gordon
@clay
05/01/08 11:24:09AM
1,680 posts
Chocolove does not manufacture the chocolate from beans, they are a fondeur, or melter. While originally everything was manufactured by a co-packer, in late 2003 they opened their own bar production facility.According to information on this page , Chocolat Frey is a bean-to-bar company. They also claim to be "... the only major chocolate brand produced entirely in Switzerland." Astoundingly, they make over 350 flavors of bars. Dolfin was founded by the Poncelet brothers who are related to the family that started Belcolade if I remember correctly. If you read their web site closely, there is no mention of bean-to-bar -- which there certainly would be if they were practicing it. They talk about the art of blending, not the art of making chocolate. Interesting news is that they were recently recognized as Belgium's first CO2-neutral chocolate company.

--
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
05/03/08 03:34:28PM
251 posts
Is Neuhaus from Belgium bean to bar? It seems like they would be, but I'm not sure how to tell or how even how to find out.
Masur
@masur
05/03/08 04:09:26PM
31 posts
Neuhaus is a Callebaut customer and not a bean to bar company.
Masur
@masur
05/03/08 04:10:16PM
31 posts
Chocolaterie de L'Opera is not a bean to bar company and should be removed from the list.
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
05/22/08 07:58:47AM
251 posts
Is Dagoba a bean-to-bar company?On the Trader Joe's 72% thread Andrea said of the TJ 72%, "Don't think it's Barry Callebaut organic. (Which is the Dagoba bar.)"I'm reviewing a Dagoba bar at the moment, so I'd like to know if Dagoba is a fondeur who uses Callebaut organic? Or are they bean-to-bar since they used to sell couverture? I always like to know where the chocolate comes from.
cybele
@cybele
05/22/08 10:10:51AM
37 posts
Last I heard, Dagoba buys their beans pre-roasted (but this was pre-hershey). This is why Theo is very careful with their wording as the "only roaster of organic cocoa beans in the US."So while they work from the bean, it's not the raw bean.
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
05/22/08 02:36:26PM
251 posts
Is Endangered Species a bean-to-bar company or a fondeur?
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
05/22/08 07:33:07PM
251 posts
Here are two statements that I've gleaned about ESC:From the inside of the wrapper, "We only buy cacao grown in the natural shade of rich, diverse forests."From the blog and FAQs on their website , "Endangered Species Chocolate sources our cacao for our all-natural milk and dark chocolate bars from small, family-owned farms in Nigeria"These statements lead one to believe that they are a bean-to-bar company, but I'm still not sure. They could also be nuanced so that they merely give that impression.What do you think?
Alan McClure
@alan-mcclure
05/23/08 08:16:17AM
73 posts
For what it is worth, I saw a video online about ESC that included a trip through their plant and there wasn't one single shot of cacao, roasting, winnowing, grinding or conching--only molding and packaging. It isn't final proof, but it might add to one's skepticism:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bZsaAqu4CA They say in the video that you can tour the factory, so if you are in or near Indianapolis, IN, that would be a possibility.Also, feel free to email the company. If they are bean-to-bar chocolate manufacturers, and you ask some direct questions, they should certainly be able to answer them without any hesitation or oddly worded responses that just add to the confusion.
Herbert
@herbert
05/23/08 11:15:30AM
2 posts
Huh. What about Caffarel? TSOR leaves it ambiguous. They talk about cocoa, not cacao, though that could be translation issues, but at the same time their site also says "In the main building - a hallowed hall of fine chocolate making - the processes that are performed include roasting, mixing, refinement and conching"
cybele
@cybele
05/23/08 11:54:18AM
37 posts
I don't think that saying that they know how their cacao is sourced is in conflict with them NOT being bean to bar. There are a lot of companies that outsource stuff that requires huge specialized machinery and large amounts of space. They can still be very involved with the cacao selection process - they just have someone else winnow & roast and possibly go so far as to have someone deliver it as liquor. (Hershey's is no longer bean to bar on all their products.)
El Castillo del Cacao
@el-castillo-del-cacao
06/28/08 04:19:07PM
2 posts
Hello. I see you put us on the list of Bean to Bar makers.. Thank you. Yes indeed we make chocolate from the beans we buy directly from cooperatives and individual farmers here in Nicaragua. We roast and peal the cacao, then mill it with sugar ending in very full tasting chocolate bars. The nice thing about being so close to the farmers is that you get very interesting variaties. I have seen at least 25 types of cacao in our area.We have contacts with some bean to bar chocolate makers and export small quantaties of cacao (starting at 200lbs) to the USA and Europe. We also train cacao farmers how to make chocolate using their own cacao with local technology. Lets hope we get some more bean to bar makers in this world..
Erin
@erin
07/06/08 07:27:52PM
30 posts
Cotton Tree Chocolate is made in Belize. It is a bean to bar chocolate made at the Cotton Tree Lodge in the Toledo District of Belize.The initial batch of Cotton Tree Chocolate was made from tree (picked directly off a local farmer's trees and fermented and made at the Cotton Tree Lodge) to bar. Most batches are not fermented on the premises but instead start with freshly fermented and dried beans that are then roasted on the premises.Cotton Tree Chocolate likes to buy the freshest beans possible directly from the farmer.Cotton Tree Lodge arranges a chocolate week at the lodge which allow guests to tour cacao plantations, pick cacao, and participate in all of the steps to make their own chocolate bars. Guests can also tour the Cotton Tree Chocolate factory on the premises.
updated by @erin: 09/11/15 06:36:40PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
07/07/08 11:18:36PM
1,680 posts
I can confirm this.

--
Grant S of Grant Candy Co.
@grant-s-of-grant-candy-co
07/15/08 10:00:29PM
4 posts
Would you consider cocoa liquor to bar "bean to bar"????
Alan McClure
@alan-mcclure
07/16/08 12:13:53AM
73 posts
No. Bean-to-bar requires roasting, winnowing, and grinding the cocoa beans.starting from cocoa liquor would be liquor-to-bar.
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
07/26/08 07:52:40AM
251 posts
"I don't see World's Finest Chocolate listed here. "What country are they in?
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
07/26/08 07:54:03AM
251 posts
Why is Kraft on this list? What chocolate do they make from bean to bar?
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
07/26/08 07:56:09AM
251 posts
Is Lake Champlain, in Burlington VT, a bean to bar maker?From their website they seem to be, but I'm not sure.
Alan McClure
@alan-mcclure
07/26/08 09:12:41AM
73 posts
99.99% sure that they don't.
Clay Gordon
@clay
07/26/08 10:32:27AM
1,680 posts
Lake Champlain is definitely not b-2-b. They are just down the interstate from St Albans VT where Callebaut has a factory. All of the chocolate LCCC uses comes from Callebaut. The clue is to take a look at the origins and percentages.:: Clay

--
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
07/27/08 08:46:11AM
251 posts
As always, thanks for the knowledgeable replies to my LCC question.Now, I'm curious about this one too-- Why is Kraft on this list? What chocolate do they make from bean to bar?
Eric Durtschi
@eric-durtschi
08/17/08 09:55:39PM
38 posts
Could a company that starts from nibs be considered bean to bar? I know that is not "bean to bar" but what do you think. I know a company that does this.
Eric Durtschi
@eric-durtschi
08/18/08 12:22:10AM
38 posts
The reason I asked is that this guy does just what you mentioned of making chocolate from raw unroasted nibs. Sounds pretty crazy but he is sending me some samples for me to try as I am going to be getting him some of the nibs from a few other countries. I can't wait to try it. So, in this case do you think it qualifies as bean to bar?
Eric Durtschi
@eric-durtschi
08/18/08 09:54:22AM
38 posts
Thanks for the insight. I was just curious as to whether or not he should be added to the list.In his case the reason he uses nibs is that he is a new company and small ans doesn't have the money to buy the winnower yet. Maybe when he gets a little bigger he'll truly become bean to bar.By the way, any idea what a winnower would cost? Do they make small ones. The cheapest I have found is $70,000.
Alan McClure
@alan-mcclure
08/18/08 03:37:33PM
73 posts
That is the least expensive cocoa bean winnower being manufactured in the US or Europe--by far. You can find some used machines for less than that, but they'll need quite a bit of work.
Eric Durtschi
@eric-durtschi
08/18/08 09:50:32PM
38 posts
How did you do that? I would love to know. As of now I have to pay almost double for them when I get them from different growers. I'd love to try to make my own.
Clay Gordon
@clay
08/24/08 11:47:27AM
1,680 posts
I posted a couple of links to less expensive options in a forum thread on Winnowers in the Home Brew Chocolate group. Sam Madell posted a picture of the winnower she mentions below in Photos.

--
Amanda
@amanda
09/18/08 10:07:09PM
1 posts
Here's a new updated list with one more addition: Pacari Chocolate, an Ecuadorian Organic Chocolate:AfricaMalagasy (Madagascar)Claudio Corallo (So Tom)AustraliaHaigh's ChocolatesTavaEuropeAustriaZotterBelgiumBarry CallebautPierre MarcoliniDenmarkCarlettiTomsFranceBernachonBonnatChocolaterie de L'OperaMichel CluizelPralusValrhonaWeissGermanyCoppeneurEuromarHachezHerzaLudwigLudwig WeinrichStorckItalyAmedeiAntica Dolceria BonajutoCioccolato PeyranoDeBondtDomoriDon PuglisiFerreroICAMMajaniVenchiSpainChocovicNatraSwedenMalm ChokladfabrikSwizerlandConfiserie BernerFelchlinUnited KingdomCadbury-SchweppesSir Hans Sloane of LondonNorth AmericaCanadaSoma ChocolatemakerUnited States(On other thread)South America & CaribbeanArgentinaFenixColombiaSantanderEcuadorPacari ChocolateVintage PlantationsGrenadaGrenada Chocolate CompanyNicaraguaEl Castillo del CacaoVenezuelaEl ReyHacienda Bukare
Koa Kahili
@koa-kahili
10/05/08 04:33:06PM
7 posts
Hawaii, KauaiGarden Island Chocolate
Sacred Steve
@sacred-steve
11/13/08 02:27:30AM
116 posts
Sacred Chocolate is a Bean to Bar Manufacturer of Chocolate Bars located in San Rafael, CA USA. http://www.SacredChocolate.com
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
12/22/08 12:06:09PM
251 posts
I'm currently tasting a bar (Ecuador 75%) by Baratti & Milano, an Italian company. It appears that they are fondeurs NOT B2B. Can someone confirm this?
updated by @chocofiles: 09/09/15 12:07:35AM
Sacred Steve
@sacred-steve
12/22/08 12:22:34PM
116 posts
Sacred Chocolate is a bean to bar maker in the USA.
 / 4  

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores