melter ideas

Gina Mulcahy
@gina-mulcahy
09/10/15 10:39:07AM
0 posts

I'm wondering what others use for bulk chocolate melters as I'm finding the Savage and other melters insanely overpriced....I've seen some use soup warmers etc. Any new ideas out there? Looking for at least 25 - 50lb capacity.  Can't believe the prices of the melters out there. There has to be  some suitable substitutes...

mda@umgdirectresponse.com
@michael-arnovitz
09/10/15 12:11:03PM
59 posts

The various Savage machines are high quality units that will last for many years. I've spoken to numerous chocolate and caramel makers who swear by them. But yes, they are expensive. If you're looking for an inexpensive alternative you might consider this: buy a heating cabinet or heater/proofer like bakers use. (If you get a heater/proofer make sure it can run just as a heating cabinet, because obviously you do not want to add water.)

Turn the temp up in the cabinet to a suitable temp to melt your chocolate, load in pans of different sizes with your chocolate, and come back in the morning to a cabinet full of melted chocolate. Takes longer than a good quality melter, and you're not going to be able to add despositors, etc. But on the plus side you can get brand new heating cabinets for about $1500-$2000, and used ones for half that much.

Gina Mulcahy
@gina-mulcahy
09/10/15 03:20:28PM
0 posts

Yes, I agree Savage does have great products and definately last years. Just looking for other options as i am only operating for corporate gifts in November and December. 

Thanks!

mda@umgdirectresponse.com
@michael-arnovitz
09/10/15 03:30:10PM
59 posts

Go to a local commercial kitchen supply store and tell them you are in the market for a used heating cabinet/proof box. They can probably dig one up for you for $600-$800, and it will probably take care of your needs.

Robert O'Byrnes
@robert-obyrnes
09/10/15 07:21:36PM
9 posts

Try TCF Sales. They have a melter for around $800.

Tags