Pectin for slab jellies

John Duxbury
@john-duxbury
09/30/16 02:41:50PM
45 posts

Hello All.  I keep trying to make slab jellies to cut and enrobe.  Pectin has always been the problem for me.  Nothing worked from making it myself (from apples), to using commercial, off-the-shelf pectin.  The jelly was always too soft to slab and cut.  I did fond a confectioners pectin that worked (from Burke Candies) but I have to buy it in 10 pound quantities.  I only use 3 ozs per batch and with a shelf life of 1 year, I throw out  most of the pectin.  Any suggestions on a firmer pectin or ordering confectioners pectin in 1 pound lots?  Thanks, John

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
09/30/16 06:34:36PM
194 posts

Chef Rubber carries various sizes of Pate de Fruit pectin. Also, in Grewelings At Home book, he has a recipe calling for grocery store pectin. I have had PDF pectin for more than 5 years, and it is still working fine.

Paul2
@paul2
10/01/16 12:58:32PM
20 posts

I second Chef Rubber. Try the yellow pectin.  The Pate de Fruit pectin comes from citrus, rather then apple. It has a different texture. Firmer with a nicer tooth.

John Duxbury
@john-duxbury
10/01/16 02:25:15PM
45 posts

Thanks Ruth and Paul.  Much appreciated.  I did try Grewelings recipe but didn't have any success with it.  I'll try Chef Rubber's pectin.  Paul, you mentioned that Chef Rubber's is Yellow Pectin.  I have a recipe that calls for "yellow pectin".  The citrus pectin that you referred to, is that considered "yellow pectin"?  Thanks again, John

Paul2
@paul2
10/01/16 05:12:21PM
20 posts

The citrus pectin is the same as the yellow pectin

Tags