White Chocolate Won't Melt

Mickey Miller
@mickey-miller
03/01/16 01:37:59PM
13 posts

I bought some white chocolate (Chocoley V125 Pure Indulgence) to help out another chocolatier who was leaving town.  My employee just let me know that it isn't melting.  It's been in our Chocovision X3210 for 40 minutes and has barely melted.  Also tried it in our Rev 1, been going for 35 minutes and barely melting.  Why wouldn't this melt?

Clay Gordon
@clay
03/01/16 02:25:01PM
1,680 posts

What temperature is the Chocovision set for? The Chocoley site says get white chocolate to 110F but IIRC the basic melt point in the Chocovision machines is set for 115F.

I would contact their help line and ask them directly.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Sebastian
@sebastian
03/01/16 02:40:22PM
754 posts

It's probably because it's absorbed moisture.  It's likey either old, stored improperly, or both.  Distributors are terrible at this, so if you're not buying direct from the MFR, this will be a common problem.  The absorpbed moisture is resulting in it being very thick.  Add 0.1-0.3% fluid lecithin to it when melting, and give it lots of agitation (like in a kitchenaid mixer).  It will likely never revert to what it's supposed to be, but depending on how much moisture it's absorped, you may be able to bring it back into the realm of workabilty.

Mickey Miller
@mickey-miller
03/01/16 03:10:40PM
13 posts

Thanks, Clay and Sebastian.  Clay, the Chocovision brings it to 108.  I had her up the temp, and it finally melted, but she said it was "like Crisco--super thick and waxy."  I asked her to add some cocoa butter, but she had already dumped it out of the machine.

Sebastian, I bought it from a chocolatier who worked out of her home.  Have no idea how it was stored.

Where would I buy fluid lecithin?

Sebastian
@sebastian
03/01/16 03:21:45PM
754 posts

I'm taking it you're working on very, very small scale.  It might be hard to find fluid lecithin if that's the case - you might find some at a health store in capsules that you can pull apart to get to the lec that's inside? I've never really spent any time trying to identify ultra small quantities of lecithin - perhaps others on the board can assist.

Mickey Miller
@mickey-miller
03/01/16 03:25:29PM
13 posts

Yes, I have a pretty small shop--have two X3210s and a Rev 1.  I googled it and it looks like I can buy a small amount.

Tags