Best White Choc. for Hand-rolled Truffles/Effects of Cocoa Butter Content on Viscosity

Jennifer Meyer
@jennifer-meyer
02/14/10 04:24:16PM
3 posts

Sorry for the long title but these two topics seem to go hand-in-hand. I was reading a discussion at another site about firming up a white chocolate ganache recipe. Someone responded that it's best to use a white chocolate with the highest amount of cocoa butter to get the firmest ganache. This seems to make sense, however...

At the Callebaut site, their chocolate is rated by drops according to viscosity. The more drops, the more fluid the chocolate. When I compare the white chocolate, it appears that the chocolate becomesmore fluid as the cocoa butter percentage goes up and the milk solids go down. Hence, as the cocoa butter percentage drops and the milk solids rise, the chocolate becomes firmer (a lower "drop" rating).

Am I misunderstanding this? What is the relationship between cocoa butter content and viscosity in white chocolate? What is the best white chocolate to use to get a ganache that's firm enough to roll and dip? What ratio of White Chocolate to Cream to Butter is generally used?

Thank you,

Jenny Meyer

updated by @jennifer-meyer: 04/21/15 02:02:58AM
Debby
@debby
02/15/10 01:47:05PM
10 posts
For hand rolled truffles with a white chocolate ganache, I use the following general recipe...6 parts white chocolate3/4 part cocoa butter1 part butter3 parts liquid (cream or other plus cream)This looks very liquid and is not something you can pipe into truffles. I use the set and then scoop method. I leave the ganache at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours before scooping with a 1 ounce measure. At that point the ganache is able to be handled. I roll it and dip it. Good luck.
Mark Heim
@mark-heim
02/16/10 07:50:36PM
101 posts
A ganache is an oil in water emulsion. The fat, from cocoa butter or milk will be as dispersed globules in the continuous water phase. So the greatest affect on the rheology will be what is in the water phase, and how much there is. Imagine sand in water, more sand or less water thickens it.The blend of fats though will also have an effect, but much less. With more milk fat the fat globules will be softer, giving less stand up or firmness. But the water phase and what's dissolved in it has the greatest influence.
Larry2
@larry2
10/15/12 07:07:29AM
110 posts

While this may be a late answer, part of the question remains unanswered.

The cocoa butter will both increase and decrease your viscosity.

In liquid meltedform, it will decrease your chocolate's viscosityor thin it out.

In solid cooledform, as in a truffle's ganache, it will increase the viscosity or make it harder.

& thank you for the recipe Debby. :)

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores