Tempering for dipping

Magrietha Hendrika du Plessis
@magrietha-hendrika-du-plessis
07/17/11 10:10:06
83 posts

Me again, I have actually a few related questions. OK, first, if I am going to offer clients at a stall freshly dipped truffles rolled in whatever they want. Must that chocolate be perfectly tempered? I think, if not, it will not set fast enough even though we are not worried about shine as it is going to be rolled in something as well, but it still needs to set in a reasonable time. The idea for this is to try and find out what is popular for a future line we want to offer, so it is a little research as well as an effort to get some cash flow!

How do I keep sufficient chocolate hot and tempered (if I can get it in temper to start with as I am not good with it yet!) under the difficult conditions of a stall at a food market? We want to do that market as our target market goes there for entertainment.

Most important! I am so new at tempering I do not know what properly tempered chocolate looks like. I do it religiously according to the temperatures, sometimes it is not so bad and then, like last night, I end up with a fluid mass of chocolate that was only properly set this morning. My family thinks the truffles are divine, and they are difficult to please, but I cannot offer them to customers!

So, I hope you guys understand my questions as I am not very good at explaining myself.

Thanks

Magriet

updated by @magrietha-hendrika-du-plessis: 05/15/15 02:40:54
08/13/11 10:13:54
83 posts
Hi everyone, Please some help! I have solved some of the above already, but I am still worried about the dipping of the chocolate at the market. How do I keep chocolate tempered under such circumstances? To be honest I have trouble keeping it in temper in the kitchen! What am I doing wrong? When I start working with it it is fine, but after a very short while it is out of temper.
Clay Gordon
@clay
08/14/11 01:05:43
1,680 posts

Magriet:

You may have answered this in another post, but what method are you currently using to temper your chocolate, and if you are using equipment, what equipment (specifically - company and model) are you using?

Is the market indoors or outdoors and is there any temperature control?'

:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
08/14/11 02:38:07
83 posts

Hi Clay, I have a very primitive setup here. I heat the chocolate in an improvised bain marie and temper it by hand with the seed method.

The market is outdoors in the morning and in the evening. No way to control the temperature. If the weather forecast can be trusted the morning temperature should be around 20C and it also looks as if humidity at about 37%. The evening is going to present a problem as the temperature is sure to drop to about 12C.

So, my chocolate is sure to go a little out of temper as the day goes. Hopefully the truffles will be consumed quickly, but I am scared it will not set soon enough.

The other night I tried to temper Valrohna for the first time, previously I have used Callebaut, and I had a serious problem. The chocolate was ice cold yet it would not set, it would have been ideal to serve as it is as a colc chocolate drink, serious! So, advice please.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

kapil jain

kapil jain

kapil jain

@kapil-jain • 7 years ago

Chocolatevenue is an online chocolate store in India.We are specialized in customized chocolates  .Chocolates can be customized as chocolate message and chocolate bars.

You can get written your message on chocolates and can get customized your chocolate bars by selecting the desired ingredients.

for more details

colorchocolate

@colorchocolate • 7 years ago

FOR SALE / BARGAIN / FINE CACAO LIQUOR, COLOMBIA ORIGIN

Enjoy a delicious premium chocolate from the Boyacá region of Colombia, considered among the best in the world. We offer a 200 kilograms lot of pure origin cocoa liquor,  fair trade / ethically sourced. N o other ingredients added.

The price for this high quality product is as follows:

1 kg - US$ 13

100 kg - US$ 12 per kilo

200 kg - US$ 11 per kilo

Inquires: equalcolombia@gmail.com

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/colorchocolate#sthash.JFDWYFuK.dpuf

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/community/forums/my_posts/18453/fine-cacao-liquor-colombia-origin#sthash.2pUq4Eu3.dpuf

Clay Gordon

@clay • 7 years ago

FCIA Recognition of Excellence Nominations close in one week:

Clay Gordon

The 4 Chocolatiers

@the-4-chocolatiers • 7 years ago

Two changes we made with the chocolate is that this time we winnowed the chocolate. This time we didn't use a blow dryer to melt the chocolate. Two improvements with the chocolate is that the melanger didn't get clogged this time and everyone put in work.