Carob Chocolate

Tom
@tom
05/05/12 06:54:45PM
205 posts
Before the predjudice starts, do people actually know what carob is? I didnt until recently, and no i am not going to go on some hippy rant about chocolate replacement, i make chocolate from bean to bar myself and nothing could substitue. Carob, as i found out is actually a sweetener, with no real chocolate flavour, the carob pods are roasted, deseeded and ground to a flour which is high in sugar and fibre and tastes like dates or malt powder....certainly not chocolate. Coincidentally, it is my daughters favorite climbing tree down at the creek near our house, we had no idea the 10s of kilos of pods on this massive tree were, sweet and edible. I now think of them as natures muslie bars, about 50 percent sugar, high in fibre, low in fat, with 6 percent protein (which is pretty high really) and no fat and raw taste like malted dates. Excellent for little tree climbing bodies. One of the main products from carob production is a delicious syrup, which is great in milk and on ice cream.Anyway, my question is, who invented carob chocolate and why, i havent been able to find anything about it yet.
updated by @tom: 04/20/15 02:20:04PM
antonino allegra
@antonino-allegra
05/06/12 04:04:09PM
143 posts

Carob powder is also one of the most ancient and best stabilizer for ice cream....

Tom
@tom
05/07/12 12:20:59AM
205 posts

Is that the carob pod powder or the thickening agent made from the seeds?

antonino allegra
@antonino-allegra
05/07/12 03:46:46AM
143 posts

Yep, i think i s called as well Locust bean gum...

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores