06/08/10 01:03:47
3 posts
Does anyone know anything about jet black cocoa seed extract? Thnaks

updated by @barbara-forshay: 04/20/15 05:13:07
Sebastian
@sebastian
06/08/10 04:19:36
754 posts
jet black is a name of an industrial manufacturer's black cocoa powder... is that what you're referring to?
Barbara Forshay
@barbara-forshay
06/08/10 08:10:16
3 posts
I guess so . It is an ingredient in something and I had never heard of it and I thought it was not called a seed but a husk. But that is the bean and not the seed. I wonder how the the seed be different nutritionally then the bean. Also how many different species of cocoa plants are there?
Sebastian
@sebastian
06/08/10 08:41:56
754 posts
The seed is the same as the bean. I've catalogued a little over 600 different varieties of theobroma cacao genetically - others may have different #'s depending on what they've done. There are companies making cocoa powder out of the 'whole pod' (including the husk), but i'd steer clear of them, as that's where the abundance of pesticides and mycotoxins are going to be present. Plus they don't taste very good 8-)
Clay Gordon
@clay
06/08/10 08:43:25
1,680 posts
Barbara:There is only one species of cacao used to make chocolate - theobroma cacao cacao, also t. cacao cacao. What we call criollo, forastero, trinitario, etc., are varieties of t. cacao. The phrase "jet black cocoa seed extract" probably refers to the color of the extract, not the color of the cacao seeds (I tend to use cacao for fresh/wet and cocoa when referring to dry) from which the extract is made.Doing a simple bit of research on Google (where this conversation is #1 already - even above the site(s) from the manufacturer, salespeople) for the phrase "jet black cocoa seed extract" we can see that it is a proprietary ingredient in a nutritional supplement marketed by the network marketing (e.g., MLM) company Xyngular. It turns out that "cocoa extract" is an ingredient in several herbal vitamin supplement products.It is possible to extract the antioxidants from ground cocoa beans and it makes some sense that this is what they're talking about. But - the only place that "jet black cocoa seed extract" exists is in this one supplement. I won't say outright that it is a scam, but I would be skeptical of the claims made for the product. MSRP for a one-month supply is $44.95.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Barbara Forshay
@barbara-forshay
06/08/10 08:47:12
3 posts
Thank you. Amazing that there are that many varieties!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

kapil jain

kapil jain

kapil jain

@kapil-jain • 7 years ago

Chocolatevenue is an online chocolate store in India.We are specialized in customized chocolates  .Chocolates can be customized as chocolate message and chocolate bars.

You can get written your message on chocolates and can get customized your chocolate bars by selecting the desired ingredients.

for more details

colorchocolate

@colorchocolate • 7 years ago

FOR SALE / BARGAIN / FINE CACAO LIQUOR, COLOMBIA ORIGIN

Enjoy a delicious premium chocolate from the Boyacá region of Colombia, considered among the best in the world. We offer a 200 kilograms lot of pure origin cocoa liquor,  fair trade / ethically sourced. N o other ingredients added.

The price for this high quality product is as follows:

1 kg - US$ 13

100 kg - US$ 12 per kilo

200 kg - US$ 11 per kilo

Inquires: equalcolombia@gmail.com

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/colorchocolate#sthash.JFDWYFuK.dpuf

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/community/forums/my_posts/18453/fine-cacao-liquor-colombia-origin#sthash.2pUq4Eu3.dpuf

Clay Gordon

@clay • 7 years ago

FCIA Recognition of Excellence Nominations close in one week:

Clay Gordon

The 4 Chocolatiers

@the-4-chocolatiers • 7 years ago

Two changes we made with the chocolate is that this time we winnowed the chocolate. This time we didn't use a blow dryer to melt the chocolate. Two improvements with the chocolate is that the melanger didn't get clogged this time and everyone put in work.