hollow chocolate molding

Nicole5
@nicole5
03/05/14 08:37:11PM
35 posts

In my family's shop a new employee is having trouble with our Easter hollow molds. Since my father's passing we are on a rapid learning curve since he knew everything and we just followed his instructions.

Anyway, as we are trying to do the hollow molds, the chocolate is cracking while setting up. It's is visible from the outside of the mold.

I'm thinking that it's too thin of a shell and/or the viscosity of the chocolate. We are using Broc 90 (?). Should we be using 125 for hollow molds?

Is this enough info for thoughts?

updated by @nicole5: 04/10/15 11:27:00AM
Lee2
@lee2
03/06/14 12:37:07AM
33 posts

I have no experience with that type of mold but what I do know is thickness won't stop chocolate from cracking. The times I've seen cracking was with very thick chocolate, in fact. Due to uneven cooling, in that instance. So I'd be looking at cooling problems rather than viscosity. Molds can be really tricky and almost all the trouble comes from cooling and heat dispersal. Lots of folks will say to put a fan in your fridge haha.

Good on you for taking up your father's legacy!

Nicole5
@nicole5
03/06/14 07:30:08AM
35 posts

Thank you, Lee, for your response! Your explanation could be the problem, and if I could inquire a little more, I'd be grateful. These molds are (big surprise!) bunnies. When you say uneven cooling, could it be that if our guy is putting more chocolate in the ears of the bunny mold, but less for the body, that that might be part of it? He hasn't told me where the molds are cracking, or if it's always in the same place, so I'll check on that. In the meantime, this is a major problem at this time of year!

Lee2
@lee2
03/06/14 08:33:46AM
33 posts
I'd also find out how he's cooling them. How big is the cooling environment? How cold? How are the molds spaced in the fridge? How long is he cooling for? Heat dispersal in chocolate molds can be very tricky. Knowing where cracks are forming would be useful.I still hope your your sake someone with experience with this kind of mold weighs in. I mold lots of chocolate every day but I don't work with this particular type of hollow mold. So my advice is fairly general.Best of luck!
Clay Gordon
@clay
03/07/14 12:32:20PM
1,680 posts

Nicole -

Clear photos would help!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Kerry
@kerry
03/23/14 10:18:00AM
288 posts

Removing a percentage of the clips early in the cooling can help a lot with cracking.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores