looking for a more efficient way to make slabbed ganache

dd
@dd
10/22/15 01:36:44PM
14 posts

Hi folks!

I am looking for a more efficient way to make slabbed ganache.

This is how i make it now: I have 2 long stainless steel bars, between these bars i put the ganache and spread it even with a plastic board (see attached picture). I use my fingers to prevent the ganache from running over the side of the bars.

Next day i bottom them, turn over and cut em with the guitar.

In detail I am looking for

-) a better scrapper to spread the ganache (like in the video below)

-) something more flexible than the stainless steel bars (they bend over time and i cant use them anymore and they are unhandy to store)

-) a alternative to the baking parchment, something i can use more than once (silpat doesnt work well for ganache)

A while ago I found this video on the internet. (Le Caramel et le Chocolat Henri Le Roux ) At minute 02:00 you can see how they slab the ganache.

Looking forward to some tips and tricks on how you slab ganache and what equipment you use.

Any help appreciated!

regards, dd

addition: i uploaded a photo of my last slabbed ganache.

IMG_20150922_191044.jpg

updated by @dd: 10/22/15 01:40:24PM
Sebastian
@sebastian
10/22/15 07:51:30PM
754 posts

I got a series of 1/4" thick 24x24" plastic 'sheets' (squares), and cut out the inside of them until they looked like picture frames.  Having multiples of them allows for them to be stacked so i can vary my thickness (each layer i add = 1/4" thicker ganache).  Stack 'em up, pour the ganache, let it solidify, run a knife around the edges, and lift it up and cut.

Easy to clean, small footprint, inexpensive to build/replace.

Gap
@gap
10/22/15 09:39:19PM
182 posts

Yep - I use the same as Sebastian mentions. As per here:

http://www.savourschool.com.au/equipment/frames/products.aspx

Very easy to make/have made. Mine are 3mm high and in a variety of dimensions, depending on how much ganache I am making. I can customise my recipe sizes to the frame dimensions I want - eg., 1000g of ganache fills 3 medium frames.

I put the frames on a silpat mat (which is on a tray) and stick multiple stacked frames together with chocolate. When the ganache has set, apply over-tempered chocolate to the top to create a foot, cover with baking paper and a tray, flip it over and peel off the silpat. Run a knife down the edge of the frame and remove the frame and you're ready to cut your slab and enrobe.

updated by @gap: 10/22/15 09:42:42PM
dd
@dd
10/26/15 07:34:44AM
14 posts

Thank you sebastian and gap for sharing your method of making slabbed ganache.
I also have one of these frames you are talking about. As you say they are perfect for making multilayered ganache, but as gap mentioned, if you have 1kg of ganache you need 3 frames.
I mostly make 2-3kg of ganache (peak season) and dont want to have 6 or 9 frames to "play" with.
So i guess i need to "build" such a scrapper by my own. I also was thinking about a scrapper where I can adjust the height, so i can eventually make also multilayerd pralines. I will talk to a metalworker, shouldnt be that difficult.

The other problem with the stainless steel bars (bend and unhandy), i have to rethink.

@gap: you are using silpat for your slabbed ganache? Didnt you have any problems with ganache sticking to the silpat? I have some recipes where the ganache is really soft (but still "cut-able") and i once tried silpat and it was a mess.
Is it a normal silpat or something special?

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores