Colombian cacao and cocoa butter.

danielle2
@danielle2
01/22/17 04:15:48PM
7 posts

Hello!  

After 2 years of living and working in Colombia, I finally have access to some cacao and an affordable way to ship it.  

I have a small chocolate factory in Medellin.  We are origencacao.com.

I have 4 different beans that I am working with right now, all are available on a regular basis in small and large lots. I purchase directly from the farmer, indigenous tribe, or co-op.  I pay above market prices for quality beans.  

Tumaco:  These beans are from a small Co-Op of 20 families.  The beans are all processed in one fermenting station supervised by someone trained at the university and Fedecacao in the art of fermentation.   The beans arrive clean and presorted.  These beans are a wonderful true chocolate flavor, well balanced with a hint of tree nut.  I use these beans for all my cacao products (nibs, nut clusters, etc) and for a 74% chocolate bar, and a 55% chocolate that I make filled bars and barks with.  

Santander:  These beans come from farms bordering the Rio Carare, in what was very dangerous territory not long ago.  Most are brought to market via mule and river boat.  I find these beans to have notes of red fruits and a hint of floral.  I use these beans for a 67% chocolate bar that is a best seller.   These beans come from a mix of old and new trees.

Antioquia:  These beautiful beans are new to me from a wonderful farmer in Maceo.  He has an old farm where you can find trees as old as 60 years.  He is currently working with Fedecacao to create new hybrids for this particular region.  With a high percentage of porcelana beans, these beans are very delicate.  Max of this bean is 100 kilos a month. 

Sierra Nevada:  I have been working with friends from the Arhuaco Tribe of the Sierra Nevada to develop their beans for export.  While still a bit rough, these beans are grown with beautiful intent, lovingly cared for by indigenous people.  They believe in protecting the earth and sharing their beliefs through their crops and crafts.  

Cocoa Butter:  Raw, unfiltered, un-deodorized. 

Please note that all the cacao I use is Organic.  However, it is not certified as no one in Colombia can afford those certifications.  I have been to all the farms and know their processes.  The cacao is grown naturally, as it always has been.  

You can find more information on the website.  I also host folks for bean to bar private classes in my home and factory, and can facilitate farm visits for all my origens as well as others.  

Cacao available raw, roasted, or as nibs.  I can make some coverture, but my capabilities are not huge at the moment. 

I should have the webstore at origencacao.com up and running this week, you will be able to buy beans, and all my cacao products via the website or amazon.  

Shipping is via FedEx, 2 days to the US.  

Please email me with any questions.  

Danielle

GretaHass
@gretahass
03/08/17 02:46:47AM
22 posts

Jesús Emilio and Arley’s visit to the UK was organized with support from the human rights organization, Peace Brigade International. PBI has been working with the Community since their foundation in 1997, with the aim of keeping the eyes of the world on the dangerous human rights situation in Colombia. They regularly send volunteer observers into the field to show solidarity, and these international observers are able to bear witness to the threats the Community faces. This international presence is also a form of protection.

“Without this, we would have been massacred,” explains Jesús Emilio. Lush has played a significant role, too. “Lush has accompanied us on the recent pilgrimages that we have made to different settlements within the Community, where there has been an enormous paramilitary repression,” says Jésus Emilio. “We feel that Lush has joined our daily struggle.”

Eric K. Meredith
@eric-k-meredith
04/29/17 08:36:50AM
9 posts

Daniel,

Please tell me about how your people are making their COCOA BUTTER??? With metal screw press placed in the fire. Like the farmers here in Ghana make Palm Oil or Shea Butter/ Oil??? I know what you mean by certification. It is a THREE (3) year process & very expensive with detailed record keeping & inspection. In Ghana you MUST sell your Cocoa Beans ONLY to the Ghana Government, the CocoBod or Ghana Board of Cocoa or one of its Licensed Buying Companies. The Government FIXES the price & it is ILLEGAL to sell RAW COCOA BEANS to anyone who is not LICENSED by the CocoBod. The only EXCEPTION is if you PROCESS the Cocoa Products here in Ghana. So from making my own chocolate from a Behmor 1600. I then purchased a Cocoa Farm & all of the Equipment to PROCESS ALL FORMS of COCOA PRODUCTS & Chocolate on a medium scale level, approx 150 KG per hour. I would love to know how to list into this group, but I am still learning how to reply. But not how to add. If someone can give me some help & direction I would be very grateful. Thank you for all of your help & you are doing a good cause.

Eric

Asel
@asel
06/02/17 12:51:02PM
4 posts

Hi, can you please send me the price and more info to aselek777@gmail.com thanks 

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores