Why do certain ganaches leak out of molded pralines?

Laura Trairatnobhas
@laura-trairatnobhas
11/13/12 08:18:48AM
6 posts

I have two ganache formulas that consistently leak out of the caps when I use them for shell molded pralines. One contains amaretto and the other is a lime/honey/ginger ganache. Both are delicious and I'd like to use them in my products, but no matter what I do, they leak. Since I don't have this problem with other shell molded pralines, I'm assuming that this is a problem with the ganache itself and not with my molding technique. Any suggestions?

updated by @laura-trairatnobhas: 04/11/15 02:15:59PM
Beth Mansfield
@beth-mansfield
11/14/12 10:04:02AM
5 posts
Your ganaches sound tasty! My experience with that problem is that it happens when the ganache has not had time to crystallize. Try covering the filled mould (for sanitation purposes) and leaving it overnight to set before topping it off. Alternatively, maybe your ganache contains too much liquid. Try reducing the amount of cream in your formula.
Omar Forastero
@omar-forastero
11/15/12 12:07:40AM
86 posts

I would either reduce the percentage of cream or increase chocolate in my ganache. Sounds like you need a firmer filling. Also I would make a thiker chocolate shell to prevent the cream from escaping.

Laura Trairatnobhas
@laura-trairatnobhas
11/15/12 06:44:00AM
6 posts

Thank you for your suggestions, Beth! I always allow my ganache-filled molds to crystallize overnight, so perhaps changing the proportion of cream/lime juice to the other ingredients will do the trick :)

Laura Trairatnobhas
@laura-trairatnobhas
11/15/12 06:46:26AM
6 posts

Thank you for your suggestions, Omar! I will try tinkering with the proportions a bit. I don't think the shell thickness is the issue because I don't have the leakage problem with other kinds of ganache. Possibly my cream here in Thailand has more water and less butterfat than the cream used in other countries, which would account for the difference in ganache behavior.

Omar Forastero
@omar-forastero
11/18/12 01:40:21AM
86 posts

my pleasure. let me know how it goes

Laura Trairatnobhas
@laura-trairatnobhas
01/23/13 03:43:48AM
6 posts

To Beth and Omar,

I've finally solved this problem simply by not using tempered chocolate for capping the molds.

Isn't it great when a solution is SIMPLE? :)

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores