Yet Another Shelf Life Discussion - For The Holidays

Greg Gould
@greg-gould
11/30/12 08:00:43AM
68 posts

Please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong section.

I've made ganache filled dark chocolatepralines/truffles/bon-bons and I'm supposed to be selling them for the first time this weekend at a Christmas show. The recipe's been altered to hopefully extend the shelf life beyond the holidays but I'm not sure it's enough.

My old recipe brought together cream, butter,and Lorann Oil natural anti-oxidant (no one I know can taste it) until it starts to boil. That gets poured onto solid chocolate callets and mixed with a spoon until smooth.

Based on what I've read in the forums and a few other places, I've created a new recipe,a mixture of cream, butter, the antioxidant and a small amount of corn syrup. I bring that to just under a boil, cool it to 90 degrees, pour into tempered chocolate that's also at 90 degrees and mix with animmersionblender. I wrap the chocolates in foil, put them in a bag with a twist tie and add a string to make them tree ornaments.

Unfortunately, it seems ganache filled chocolates are only good for three weeks at room temperature. And my new recipe isn't quite as good as my original one. It's really good, just not as good.

My question are: How can I sell ganache filled holiday chocolates that may not make it to the holidays? Should Irefrigeratethem or suggest peoplerefrigeratethem and then put them on the tree the day before Christmas? That seems lame and I'm worried about bloom.

I'm making another batch next week. Does anyone have suggestions to extend the shelf life of my original recipe or is it best to stick with the more shelf stable ganache?

updated by @greg-gould: 04/25/15 10:20:57PM
Steve Whitman
@steve-whitman
11/30/12 09:08:23PM
10 posts

Greg - Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where you're enrobing or dipping your ganache in tempered chocolate. If you're trying to get shelf life for "naked" ganache, I don't think that's feasible. The tempered chocolate shell serves to seal the ganache and preserve it, at least for a few weeks. Just wrapping a ganache with foil won't allow it to be kept at room temperature.

Greg Gould
@greg-gould
12/01/12 12:21:49AM
68 posts
Hi Steve!I'm using polycarbonate molds and tempered Callabut 811NV for the shell which I fill with ganache.
Greg Gould
@greg-gould
12/01/12 12:22:51AM
68 posts
Does it matter if I use molds vs. enrobing?
Eri Ikezi
@eri-ikezi
12/02/12 02:27:07PM
1 posts

The industrials have, of course, figured this out in their own ways decades ago, and artisans have learnt many things from the industrials over the years as you know. I believe that the French artisans are very advanced in this area.

Steve Whitman
@steve-whitman
12/02/12 03:09:21PM
10 posts

Enrobed or molded, if you're sealing the ganache in tempered chocolate you should have at least a 3 week room temperature shelf life.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores