Cottage Law now available (again) in California!

Brian Begun
@brian-begun
01/24/13 03:23:51PM
20 posts

Thought I'd share this news. Since I'm hoping to start my business out of my house, and save a ton of money on renting a kitchen or trying to find a community one, this news makes my soon to be business much closer to reality.

Just a little background on a "cottage law" for those not familiar. It's a law that allows "low risk" foods (like chocolate or baked goods) to be produced out of a home kitchen and sold to the public. There are several states that have these laws on the books, and California (from what I understand) used to have one years ago. Unfortunately, California tends to overreach and put too many laws/restrictions that tend to be not business friendly.

Well, Gov. Brown signed a law back in Sept. that went into affect Jan 1st. 2013. So now people wanting to start a small chocolate business out of their house can now do so.

http://www.qualityassurancemag.com/california-cottage-food-law.aspx

Here's the direct link to the L.A. Co. health dept. website to register:

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/eh/misc/CAHomemadeFood.htm

Hope this info helps someone. :-)

Cheers,

Brian

updated by @brian-begun: 05/28/15 10:15:29AM
Kerry
@kerry
01/25/13 08:44:14PM
288 posts

As I understand it though - if you use cream then you are using a 'high risk' food and that's not allowed.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Brian Begun
@brian-begun
01/25/13 09:05:52PM
20 posts

That is probably the case. So if you are doing creme centers, then yeah, that may be a problem. Still this is a huge opportunity. While not perfect, it will give a lot of people a chance to get a home business off the ground, which would otherwise be impossible.

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
01/26/13 12:38:04AM
194 posts

In Utah, as long as the finished product does not require refrigeration, it is allowed.

Kerry
@kerry
01/26/13 08:35:07AM
288 posts

That makes perfect sense.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores