Urgent Help Needed - Troubles with Tempering

Belinda Reed
@belinda-reed
09/03/13 08:58:29AM
2 posts

Hi there, I have been working with chocolate for quite some time now and am just starting to encounter a problem lately. I am making large sheets of chocolate and topping with nuts/freeze dried ingredients etc, or mixing some of the ingredients into the chocolate then spreading. My chocolate is coming out looking fine and is testing properly on parchment paper, but after about 2 hours it starts to go whitish grey, with swirls and marks on the surface. It definitely seems to happen more with more inclusions. Can anyone let me know what I am doing wrong and if there is a way to prevent it.

Thank you Belinda

updated by @belinda-reed: 04/16/15 09:32:02AM
Larry2
@larry2
09/03/13 02:12:04PM
110 posts

Belinda,

It sounds like the chocolate is cooling too slowly - the chocolate is losing temper as it starts to crystalize and gives off heat. Try adding some air movement.

When we bought our little dipper (used) I contacted Hilliard's for a manual and they sent me a PDF manual. It has been invaluable because it has a troubleshooting table. Check out page 9 of the PDF that should be uploaded.

Belinda Reed
@belinda-reed
09/03/13 08:04:08PM
2 posts

Hi Larry, thanks so much for the response and PDF, it is very helpful. Cheers Belinda

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores