Keeping temper when melting a chocolate

dsfg
@lane-wigley
10/23/13 07:09:10PM
31 posts

I have some solid tempered dark chocolate that I want to use as shells for some bonbons. If I melt it carefully, should I be able to keep it in temper so I don't have to do it again? My understanding of the science says I should if I don't melt the "good" crystals, but I'd like a second opinion.

Also, if I'm using a milk chocolate as a bonbon filling, how much of a difference will it make if it's tempered or not?

I'm trying to figure out how lazy I can be and still do a good job.

Thx.

updated by @lane-wigley: 04/10/15 06:10:26PM
Andrea B
@andrea-bauer
10/23/13 09:48:01PM
92 posts
There really is no "lazy" way to temper chocolate. It requires a very precise methodology. It is highly doubtful that you could melt your chocolate and still keep it in temper without having to re-temper especially if you are doing it by hand (i.e. Melting by stovetop or microwave).I assume you mean you are using the milk chocolate to make a ganache filling for the middle of your bonbon (and not just straight milk chocolate)? My opinion is that tempering won't make a difference. There are people who swear by tempering their ganache. I've tried it both ways and actually prefer untempered chocolate in my ganache.Chocolate is a very fickle thing to work with and you just need to bite the bullet and do it the right way.Andrea

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores