10 - 15 lb Chocolate Making Machine

Journey Shannon
@journey-shannon
02/02/14 06:57:18PM
4 posts
Question : Is there a new , better improved chocolate making machine besides the 10 lb. one CocoaTown offers? I'm interested in purchasing my third small machine. The Cocoa Town belt needs to be replaced every 5 months give or take and the inside piece to the drum needs frequent epoxy. I do what's necessary but would like to know if there is a better small machine.Your guidance and support is appreciated! www.noirdebene.com
updated by @journey-shannon: 04/12/15 03:01:56PM
Potomac Chocolate
@ben-rasmussen
02/03/14 08:48:33AM
191 posts

Hi Journey. The only thing that I know of between the 10lb models (CocoaTown or Santha) and the 40+ lb models is the Santha 20. If you're just looking at another smaller machine, there's also the Premiere Wonder Grinder, but it's smaller. I use it for small test batches. Others somehow use it for 8 lbs or more, but the chocolate has spilled through the center shaft every time I've gone over 4 or 5 lbs.

Regarding the belts, I'm surprised yours last 5 months! When I used the provided belts in either a CocoaTown or a Santha, they always broke within a month. The last one (on my Santha 40) broke after 3 batches. Basically, the provided belts are terrible. I believe it was Brad Churchill who first made the suggestion on this and the Chocolate Alchemy forum to replace the original belts with a PowerTwist fiberglass link belt. I've done that on all of my machines and have never had a belt break or need adjusting. I believe the smaller machines use 3/8" belts, while the larger machines use 5/8".

Clay Gordon
@clay
02/03/14 07:32:06PM
1,680 posts

Journey -

There is a US distributor for the Santhas (in the San Francisco area). They offer the same price as on the Santha web site but their prices include shipping. Also, parts are available through them - not from India - and they offer technical support on the phone.

The belt upgrade that Ben mentions is a good idea and not that expensive to implement. LMK and I can put you in touch.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Journey Shannon
@journey-shannon
02/04/14 01:16:34AM
4 posts
Thank you gentlemen. Which machine would you say works better as well as produces a great product? I now conch for three days with my CocoaTown and love the results. I just think the quality of the machine is bad. www.noirdebene.com
Adam G.
@adam-g
02/05/14 01:10:54PM
20 posts

Regarding the Premier Grinder, are you referring to the 1.5 or 2 liter (tilting) model? I just did a 5 lb. test batch on the 2 liter model and it worked like a champ. It certainly could handle more and I'll find out how much in the next few days.

Potomac Chocolate
@ben-rasmussen
02/05/14 02:27:49PM
191 posts

I have the smaller model.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores