Question on Weighing Product

Thomas Forbes
@thomas-forbes
03/18/14 12:32:48PM
102 posts

I started molding 3.5 oz (100 g) half cacao pods of liquor and after speaking with a distributor wants us to add sugar. I did a test batch with 38% pure cane sugar and 62% liquor. The four pieces I molded all were 4 oz. with the exact same mold. Before I we run another label, is this standard that the same size piece with sugar would weigh .5 oz. more. Thanks

updated by @thomas-forbes: 04/16/15 12:34:14AM
Larry2
@larry2
03/18/14 05:32:56PM
110 posts

yes, it can make sense. - When the sugar dissolves it will fit into the nooks and crannies of the cocoa particles thus making the product more dense.

That is a pretty large increase for simply adding sugar. I don't have much experience working with chocolate formulations, but when you add one cup of sugar to one cup of water, you end up with less than two cups of syrup. It should be the same process. Thus, I believe the syrup is more dense (heavy) than either the sugar or water alone.

Thomas Forbes
@thomas-forbes
03/18/14 05:54:04PM
102 posts

That makes sense and wondered if that was the case. The sugar has a creamy brown color when I start and is specks of white on the finished chocolate. I guess the heat pulls the molasses out.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores