transfer sheet process

Cindy Sanche
@cindy-sanche
04/02/14 11:51:14PM
5 posts

Can anyone answer this? How does this chocolatier make these transfer sheets for this type of corporate logo on chocolate? (i hope my picture attaches okay on here)

i am told it is not as simple as thinking they printed out a transfer sheet with edible cocoa butter 'ink'.......i am told that they use some sort of printing press process and have to make a plate? HUH? i am googling like crazy to figure this process out on what they have used but am getting nowhere.....anyone know? i am just completing a chocolate making course and want to know how this is done. thanks!

Cindy

updated by @cindy-sanche: 04/10/15 01:59:43PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
04/03/14 04:30:51AM
1,680 posts
Cindy -

The process that most large commercial producers use to make transfer sheets is like conventional screen printing.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Cindy Sanche
@cindy-sanche
04/03/14 10:54:28AM
5 posts
Ohhh! Thank you! Do you know why that complicated process would be chosen versus a printer style transfer sheet? Is it just better quality? Thank you
Jonathan Edelson
@jonathan-edelson
04/04/14 02:15:14PM
29 posts

Most normal ink printers use very thin _transparent_ inks, which don't show up well on dark backgrounds. Edible inks are similarly transparent, and also don't show up well on dark backgrounds.

There are transfer sheet systems for chocolate, but the transfer sheets themselves include a white background that goes on to the chocolate so that the thin transparent inks will show up.

There are digital printers which, in theory, could put down the sort of colors which would show up well on a dark background, but I don't know if anyone has actually put this into production.

As Clay mentioned, the most common transfer sheet process is to screen print using colored cocoa butter. There are more or less expensive methods for making screens, and if you check egullet you can find discussion of DIY screen printing for transfer sheets.

-Jon

Clay Gordon
@clay
04/04/14 02:43:22PM
1,680 posts

Cindy:

Here's the direct link to the eGullet article(s) that Jonathan is referring to.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Cindy Sanche
@cindy-sanche
04/04/14 06:26:03PM
5 posts
Thanks very much Jon! :)
Cindy Sanche
@cindy-sanche
04/04/14 06:26:58PM
5 posts
Thank you!!
Cindy Sanche
@cindy-sanche
04/06/14 01:04:02AM
5 posts

thx again for your responses.....were you able to see the picture i attached on here? i just don't see how this would have been done with silk screening - being multi colored etc......am i out to lunch?

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores