Dutch-process chocolate

TerryHo
@terryho
04/26/14 18:15:20
11 posts

I know that the 2 main ingredients for dutching are Chocolate, alkalizingagent. Dutch-process cocoa powders and chocolate liquors are treated at the nib, liquor, or powder stage. *which stage and how to perform such process on chocolate* or just simply add a small portion of a alkalizing agent to chocolate during pressing stage? And will dutchingchocolate powder taste better as instant hot chocolate drink vs natural chocolate powder?

Thank you in advance!

358-dutchedchocolatevsnaturalchocolate.jpg

updated by @terryho: 04/13/15 00:46:09
Sebastian
@sebastian
04/26/14 18:54:11
754 posts

The details of how to perform alkalization, my friend, i'm afraid are going to be closely guarded trade secrets. Essentially it involves soluabilizing an alkalization agent in the presence of cocoa solids, variables include the alkali, concentration, time, temperature, state of the cocoa at the time of alkalization, pressure, moisture content, atmosphere, etc.

Be careful should you attempt this, as alkali can cause severe chemical burns if not handled properly or not effectively neutralized.

Most people prefer alkalized powder in their beverages over natural powder.

TerryHo
@terryho
04/26/14 20:56:49
11 posts

Thank you for your reply SeBastian,

I think if I want to make my own natural chocolate to dutched chocolate. I will just need to add 3 tablespoonsunsweetened cocoa powderplus a pinch (1/8 teaspoon) baking soda for every 1-ounce Dutch-Process Cocoa. Am I correct?

Sebastian
@sebastian
04/27/14 05:12:34
754 posts

I think that'd result in something very different than conventional alkalized cocoa powder as you know it today.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores