Whats a good source for chocolate?

Juliana Desmond
@juliana-desmond
05/12/14 09:06:50PM
6 posts

I am looking for a good source to buy chocolate for melting to use with molds. Preferably Latin American grown with minimal ingredients, soy free would be great but is not necessary. I appreciate any suggestions, Thank you!

updated by @juliana-desmond: 06/29/23 06:49:02PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
05/13/14 06:52:13PM
1,680 posts

Juliana:

Two questions before we can answer this question for you:

1) How much chocolate do you want to buy? 10 pounds? 100 pounds? More?

2) What's your price range? $4-5/pound? $5-9/lb? $10 or more/pound?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Juliana Desmond
@juliana-desmond
05/13/14 07:44:20PM
6 posts

Hi Clay,

I am looking to buy 10 - 20 pounds at a time, with a price range of $5-9/lb.

I would prefer Latin American grown.

It would also be nice~ but not necessary ~ to find some that is Soy Free and Sugar Free for the purists.

I just ordered a sampler pack from El Rey to try their different varieties. If you know of other companies that have similar sampling packs that would be helpful too.

Muchas Gracias~

P.S. I am excited to get your opinion Clay! I am now reading your book Discover Chocolate! This is such a great site and community. I am very grateful for the the work that you and all the chocolate makers and lovers do to make this world more blissful and sweet one mouthful at a time! :D

Thanks,

Juliana

Clay Gordon
@clay
05/13/14 08:04:22PM
1,680 posts

Juliana:

Thanks for the kind words about the community and the book. I am privileged to be able to work with so many people around the world who share a passion for chocolate.

I think your best bet is going to start working with an online store/distributor like ChocoSphere.com. They carry many brands and many different varieties from those brands. You can purchase in small quantities to start with, and larger quantities if you need to. I don't think that sourcing direct from the manufacturers makes much sense at this level.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Juliana Desmond
@juliana-desmond
05/14/14 01:00:56AM
6 posts

Wonderful, thanks Clay!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores