Hello from Puerto Rico

José Crespo
@jos-crespo
05/17/14 06:15:55PM
21 posts

Hello,

I'm from Puerto Rico and started with the Theobroma Cacao fascination some time last year when I was recovering from an sports injury. In our family farm, there is an adult cacao tree that was planted some time ago but the pods were never collected for other than indulging with the sweet pulp covering the seeds and spitting them out.

Having all the time in the world to read and learn while recovering, I started researching about the tree and why, although having a perfect weather, Puerto Rico does not produce cacao as a main commercial crop.

I read a lot and learned a lot about agroforestry cultivating methods and all about varieties and history of this amazing tree.

Fast forward to this day, I started a small nursery (growing!) at the family farm where I planted some trees using high yield clonal material provided by the TARS and some other naturalized varieties introduced by Spanish colonization in the 1,600's, among them some "criollo" jbaro.

I plan to acquire another farm to establish a new agroforestry project with theobroma cacao as the main crop with other tropical fruits as cash crops and possible ingredients for a future bean to bar venture.

I'm here to keep learning and make some friends with the same passion.

327-IMG_20140517_172636.jpg?width=600&height=600

updated by @jos-crespo: 04/11/15 11:30:10PM
Andy Ciordia
@andy-ciordia
05/20/14 04:38:24PM
157 posts

Hi Jose! I have extended family in Vega Baja so a fond hello to you and yours. Welcome to The Chocolate Life. Lots of different people here with a vast array of knowledges. Hope it can be of help to you in your growth. :)

José Crespo
@jos-crespo
05/21/14 11:56:03AM
21 posts

That's great! The information and resources available and already found here are invaluable!Thanks!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores