Yabisi Kakaw : Rebooting Puerto Rico's cacao heritage. | Kickstarter Campaign | FINAL DAYS!

José Crespo
@jos-crespo
06/29/14 08:13:25AM
21 posts

Hello everyone,

For quite some time now, Ive been in love and fascinated with theobroma cacao, the plant. Whose seed was once used as currency in pre-columbian civilizations in South America I live in Puerto Rico, one of the places the Spanish conquistadors brought seeds and and started commercial production in the 17th century. Historical records show that along with ginger, cacao was the main agricultural crop at that time.

In that same century, the archipelago was hit by a hurricane that affected the crops. Because of food shortages, farmers had to abandon cacao. Almost three centuries later, generations of those original trees, (some people speculate that some naturalized varieties are related to Venezuelas porcelanas), remain hidden at old farms.

It is a fascinating story, but not the one we would like to read on history books and remember with nostalgia. Together with other initiatives, we would like to be part of the resurgence of cacao production in Puerto Rico.

Not any cacao, but one of the finest, social and environmentally responsible in the world.

Ive setup a kickstarter campaign to help us accelerate the plans to bring back Puerto Ricos cacao heritage and reboot commercial production. In addition to the traditional ways of helping us we also are accepting the most popular cryptocurrencies.

We've set up a series of rewards for different pledge levels, including final artisan bars, dehydrated cacao pods (for souvenir or educational purposes) , adopt-a-tree program, and other items that you may find of your liking.

Were open to suggestions and any questions you may have.

You can find more details of the story and our plan at the official campaign clicking the image below :

257-yabisi_instagram.png?width=554

updated by @jos-crespo: 04/12/15 03:04:43PM
Luis Mendez
@luis-mendez
07/15/14 06:51:03PM
1 posts

Hola Jose.

Hace 2 a-os atra yo abri una tienda en Milwaukee WI d chocolate (chocobella in bayview) cuando mi abuelo se entero me envio unas bainas d cacao d unos arboles qtiene en su patio d su casa en Bayamon PR. yo quede encantado mi abuelo a sido agricultor toda su vida el tiene 98 a-o s pero siguie sembrando auque no lo creas, yo creo q el t puede ayudar en el 2010 yo fuy a PR y el tenia secandos unas planta d tabaco q el no ve en PR asia 30 a-os como el masca tiraba las sobra en una parte del patio y se le dio la mata. estoy seguro q es el agricultor Puertorique-o mas viejo q queda en la isla y un consejo no vendria mal, espero q puedas sacar adelante esta gran cosecha, the life is better with CHOCOLATE !!

José Crespo
@jos-crespo
07/15/14 10:17:38PM
21 posts

Luis,

Saludos! Me encantara tener la oportunidad de conocerlo! Gracias! Ac a tus rdenes!

Jos

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores