Hilliards Little Dipper (not responding)

Emily Woloszyn
@emily-woloszyn
07/25/14 04:02:37PM
17 posts

Hello....

So we have a hilliards little dipper that we do our white chocolate in. Over the past month it has given us a more than generous amount of toasted chocolate thanks to the lights not responding to the temperature...The fan works when it should but the lights NEVER shut off and just over heat the bowl. So-

Replaced both relay switches in it per the manufacturer. Before we install an entire new board on this thing does anyone have any ideas what it may be?

waiting to make pink lemonade poodles...

Emily

updated by @emily-woloszyn: 04/12/15 12:08:03PM
Emily Woloszyn
@emily-woloszyn
07/29/14 09:47:28PM
17 posts

and today I replaced the board...the same thing. Fan comes on, lights stay on.

Anyone have thoughts?

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
07/30/14 01:30:38AM
194 posts

I assume you have called Hilliard? They have always been very helpful to me. Will they let you send it in?

Emily Woloszyn
@emily-woloszyn
07/30/14 06:49:29AM
17 posts

Yes, I have called. Even asked if they had a used one we could swap but they don't. I am going to call again this morning. It's been down for 6 weeks now I think. We will have plenty of toasted white chocolate for the fall now.

The only thing I didn't change was the temp probe, because the fan reacts. When I turn the temp down you can hear it click and the lights should go but they don't...Always something strange with the moody machines.

Thanks Ruth! I will keep you posted.

Jonathan Edelson
@jonathan-edelson
08/05/14 06:58:37PM
29 posts

I don't have any experience with the little dipper, but I do have a bunch of electrical experience.

Do you have a volt meter and a schematic of your unit?

I found an old little dipper manual online, and it had a schematic. It looks like you have a control board which has a 'double throw' relay on it. Double throw means that there are two contacts (NO and NC) and they alternate which one is on. The output of this relay then controls power relays which then control the actual devices (the lamps or the blowers).

You should be able to measure the output of the relay on the control board and see if there are correct signals going to the power relays.

My guess, given what you have already replaced: there is a short in the socket that holds the relay that controls the lamps, so that a relay which is supposed to be off is getting turned on. This relay is then powering the lamps.

Good luck.

-Jon

Emily Woloszyn
@emily-woloszyn
08/05/14 09:29:46PM
17 posts

THANK you! You know what... someone had moved my paper with the schematic and when I put one of the replays init was wired wrong...A few blow circuits later and several phone calls...

ITS ALL BETTER....oh my gosh...I could have had white chocolate a long time ago if I hadn't lost the paper...but we have it now.

Thanks to everyone.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores