Chocolate bloom questions

TerryHo
@terryho
09/30/14 10:44:02PM
11 posts
Good day everyone,
I have some questions about chocolate bloom. I have a patch of conched chocolate and I'm about to age it as I learn that aging is a crucial final step in chocolate flavour development for dark chocolate and reduces the acid in chocolate. First of all, is that true? Can I possibly mold my conched chocolate directly into big block (without tempering it), put it into a ziplock bag and leave it in the cooler for later use. Will the chocolate go bloom if I do such thing? How long does chocolate go bloom after conching without immediate tempering?
Thank you
Terry

updated by @terryho: 04/13/15 04:32:44AM
Peter3
@peter3
10/02/14 12:24:05AM
86 posts

I will not comment on aging chocolate as a method of flavour development.

Yes you can take chocolate from the conche without tempering and mould it into big block using plastic trays(smaller 3-5kg blocks work better, easier to use later). After it sets take it out of the trays and keep for later use.

This chocolate will bloom very fast but this is not a problem.

You will need to melt it down again when you want to use it and in this proces you will melt all the unstable cocoa butter crystals that create bloom.

Sebastian
@sebastian
10/04/14 07:33:22AM
754 posts

Chocolate flavor does indeed change over time in tempered chocolate - the main driver of this has to do with how tempering works. When you have a 'solid' tempered bar - there's still actually quite a bit of liquid cocoa butter present in it. Over time, much of that liquid cocoa butter will begin to crystallize and solidify (this is also why your chocolates get harder over time). The dynamics of flavor release with solid fat are quite different with the dynamics of flavor release with liquid fat. Generally what you'll see is a 'rounding out' of the flavors - where you might one have had huge peaks and valleys of flavor, you'll now have foothills. This isn't true for all flavor categories, and the ability of acids mitigation depends heavily on the type of acids you have present.

Chocotoymaker
@chocotoymaker
10/04/14 07:59:06AM
55 posts

Sebastian,

When you say " over time". How long before the still liquid cocoa butter begins to solidify and at what rate?

I currently use fairly expensive chocolate that happens to agree well with my pallet and the pallets people that I have surveyed. Most of my products have at a minimum 3 months from being made to being eaten by the customer and in many cases customers hold on to our products for 6 months or longer (as they do not change much visually). When comparing my day old products to my month old products to my 3/6/9/12 month old products I have noticed " huge peaks and valleys" turning into foothills, which makes me ask two questions;

Since 6 months to a year later the difference in flavor is not as easily noticeable, should I keep using such expensive Belgian chocolate or switch to something domestic.

Is there a way that I could maintain the "peaks and valleys" for a longer period of time?

I appreciate your thoughts

Best

Victor

Sebastian
@sebastian
10/04/14 01:57:04PM
754 posts

When does it begin? immediately. it's a process who's rate depends on many things - total fat content, if you have milk fat present, and if so how much, are there nuts present, how 'good' was your temper to begin with, what are the storage conditions, etc.

Generally speaking, a good rule of thumb is that most of the changes are going to work their way out after a month. the chocolates certainly not done changing by that point, however the average person's not going to notice significant changes after that time.

Should you switch? that's a big question - that's entirely up to you. i don't know enough about what you're using, how you're using it, or what your customer want to answer that!

Undertempering a bit and sealing in air tight plastic wrappers could extend the peaks and valleys a bit, but undertempering's a very trickily proposition if you don't have a way of accurately measuring it, and many people don't have hot/cold sealers to seal their bars in airtight plastic overwrap film...

Chocotoymaker
@chocotoymaker
10/06/14 06:38:53PM
55 posts

I am use Belcolade and Callebaut. I make mostly hollow, decorated articles. I like to work a little on the hot side in a cool room and let molds finish the tempering for me. The molded items are then packed in a plastic box ( that is not air tight) and there after placed in a cardboard box ( which is airtight). When I taste freshly molded items they taste fantastic with strong chocolate flavor and great melting. As the pieces get older 1/2/3/4 months the flavor becomes weaker and they no longer " instamelt".

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores