Blooming and white spot on my Slabs!!

OD
@od
10/05/14 07:33:42PM
5 posts

Hi, I melt high quality belgium white chocolate then I mix peanut butter into it, I put it on a tray then I swirl pure 70% chocolate through it .. This has to set as after that i need to cut it in squares for serving!!

I do that at Home but I use a melting machine to melt my chocolate, then I put the tray in a chillier to cool down some time over night!! i take the tray out to warm the chocolate to a room tempture so I can cut the size i want.

some days the chocolate is looking super!! other time the chocolate get those little tiny white spots and blooming happen.

I am so disparate to know why some time its ok an other time its not .. some times even half the tray is good and the other is not. the ecstatic look of my chocolate as the taste is very important to me, so Please help with any advice out there.

also is there s anyting I can spray to make the chocolate look shiny without effecting the taste??

much apprciate any help.

updated by @od: 04/12/15 07:22:17AM
Peter3
@peter3
10/06/14 10:03:25PM
86 posts

You have not mentioned tempering your chocolate.

How do you temper?

OD
@od
10/07/14 12:41:42AM
5 posts

thanks for your kind attention .. the chocolatethat I buy is pre-tempered so i just melt theboth type of chocolate in around 40Cin my Choclate machine :

http://www.roband.com.au/roband/bainmain/Chocolate%20Tempering%20Bain%20Maries/Chocolate%20tempering%20bain%20marie.htm

Peter3
@peter3
10/07/14 09:11:02PM
86 posts

I'm afraid that you may need to do a bit more reading on the subject of chocolate tempering.

Putting things in a really simplified way:

1. In hot (over 40-45C) chocolateall the cocoa butter present will bemelted, no crystals present.

2. Such chocolate needs to be cooled to around 25-28C so some of the cocoa butter present will crystalize. This crystalization will produce a variety of crystal forms (cocoa butter is polymorphic which means that it can crystalize in many different types of crystal forms).

3. Chocolate cooled in previous step with different forms of crystals is warmed up to 29-31C which melts the unstable crystals leaving only stable ones. This is tempered chocolate and can be used to form products that will not bloom and look good.

This is a very general process description and temperatures are just for indication.

In your case if you take the tempered chocolate and melt it at 40C you effectively melt all the cocoa butter crystals making chocolate untempered.

If you make product with such chocolate it will bloom.

If you have your bought chocolate already tempered you may try seed tempering where you add some solid tempered chocolate to liquid chocolate. Something along these lines:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-temper-chocolate

OD
@od
10/07/14 09:18:56PM
5 posts

Thank you so much for that .. my next step now is that I need the choclate to be warm enough to cut !! that mean leaving it in a room of 16-18 dergee or sometime I put it in a cold low heat oven for few seconds just to give me enough time to make the product possible to cut in shapes with a cookie cutter tyep. is that again going to damage my Choclate!!

Also is there is any product out there that I can spray my choclate to make it more shiny ??

much apprciate your kind attention and time to reply. this is a very important subject for me and we dont have anyone near by that I can go for advice.

Thanks

Peter3
@peter3
10/07/14 09:36:56PM
86 posts

I would suggest that you:

a. Do a lot more reading about chocolate tempering.

b. Find a method that would be suitable to your situation.

c. Practice with chocolate to learn how to achieve the correct temper (this you can do with normal chocolate from the supermarket). Remember that you canmelt and temper again and again so there is no waste. There are a few methods of tempering that work on the small scale beside seed tempering.

d.Once you have agood feel for this you can practice with your chocolate till you find the best way of doing it.

There are polish and varnish products that are used for panned goods (made with untempered chocolate) but this is a very complex application process.

If your chocolate will be well tempered it will be nice and shiny without any need for spraying.

Where abouts are you?

OD
@od
10/08/14 12:08:28AM
5 posts

i live in Hamilton, Waikato in New Zealand

Peter3
@peter3
10/08/14 08:44:21PM
86 posts

A bit too far for a drive to Adelaide in South Australia to see how we are doing it.

OD
@od
10/08/14 10:55:41PM
5 posts

I think next time I am in Australia I would love to pop over .. I'll call you before hand .. do you know any good place here in NZ that might be able to lend me a hand ??? I am eger to learn and vedios on the internet give a bot of help but does not really make you feel the exsperince and most are so diffrent than what I need to do .. I really really apprciate you taking the time to reply to me .. its indeed very kind of you.

Peter3
@peter3
10/08/14 11:00:23PM
86 posts

If you are in Adelaide you are welcome to come and see how do we make our chocolate and the rest of processing.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores