Must Read Changes

Clay Gordon
@clay
01/16/15 10:08:54PM
1,680 posts

Your Profile is Now Your center of Activity

On the old site, most new content posting was either done from the Home page or from the content type page. That is, if you wanted to add a new Forum post there was a link under the displayed forum posts to add a new forum post.

On the new Home Page there are no direct links to add new content.

• If you want to add a new Forum Post you have to do it from within the Forum Category that you want the post to appear in.
  • If you want to add a new Blog post, create a memo, add an Activity entry in your timeline, and more - you have to do it from within that area of your profile.
  • If you want to add an entry to a Group you must do it within that Group.

Classifieds Will Move to a new Site -  TheChocolateLife.Info

Arguably the biggest content change is that I am moving the entire Classifieds section to a new site by the end of January.

The Ning platform did not support the Classifieds at all well and neither does Jamroom. I could write a module (or pay someone to write one for me), but I took this opportunity to think bigger than just move the classifieds to a new platform.

The larger context is that there is no Yellow Pages for the cocoa and chocolate industry. That's what TheChocolateLife.info will become - The Chocolate Pages! Businesses of all types and sizes can create (and manage) their own directory listings and make it easy for people to find them. I am starting out the directory by adding hundreds of companies that I've found over the course of the research I have done over the past dozen years or so.

Friending and Sending messages to Members

The concept of Friends here is different than on the old site.  Unfortunately, Friend relationships was not something that was included in the export archive so you'll have to manually go back and re-establish those connections.  Here it works more like Twitter following. You can follow a member but they don't have to Follow you back. Furthermore, you don't have to accept a Follow. There is an option on your profile page to approve Followers. When someone follows you you will get a notification and you can choose to accept or reject the Follow.

The Send a Message feature can now be found by hovering over your member name in the top nav and selecting Private Notes from the drop down menu. However, you can only send Private Notes to members that Follow you. If you want to get in touch with a member and ask them to follow you, you can leave a comment on their profile.

Merged Forum Categories

Discussions in the  Micro-Batch "Homebrew" Chocolate  and Tips, Tricks, and Techniques Forums have been merged with the Tech Help Forum, which has been renamed to Tech Help, Tips, Tricks, & Techniques . The empty Forum categories  have been deleted.

limits to the size of Image Uploads

One thing I noticed during the transfer is that some members had uploaded HUGE images for their profile photos - in some cases over 10MB! There is now a 2MB limit on all image posts (1MB for members still in the Unassigned member Quota).

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

updated by @clay: 06/29/23 06:55:17PM
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
01/24/15 01:12:55PM
251 posts

Following: on my profile there is a tab for "Followers", but is there any functionality you can set so that we can also see a list of who we are "Following"? This would be like twitter.

Currently I will use a Following list to more quickly see who I still need to add here from my old TCL list of Friends.

updated by @chocofiles: 01/24/15 01:13:25PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
01/24/15 01:59:41PM
1,680 posts

Following

ChocoFiles:
Following: on my profile there is a tab for "Followers", but is there any functionality you can set so that we can also see a list of who we are "Following"? This would be like twitter. Currently I will use a Following list to more quickly see who I still need to add here from my old TCL list of Friends.

I agree that this would be very useful. I will ask about this. Seems like a big hole in the UI/UX.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores