BonBon Capping Issues

IH
@ian-horvath
03/22/15 02:20:54PM
23 posts

Hi,

So I have been making chocolate bon bons and the area where the cap and the walls of the bonbon are suppost to meet and melt together have not been lately. There is a hairline crack going all the way around the chocolate and therefore the bottoms fall off when I unmold them. Are my walls too thin? I am not sure how to correct this? Photos attached, any comments appreciated.

image (1).jpeg
image (1).jpeg  •  1.9MB

updated by @ian-horvath: 04/10/15 10:09:48AM
IH
@ian-horvath
03/22/15 02:22:36PM
23 posts

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
03/22/15 03:37:26PM
194 posts

Just a guess here...It looks like your walls are very thin and your bottom very thick. Perhaps the bottom is expanding at a different rate than the sides and popping.

IH
@ian-horvath
03/22/15 03:50:34PM
23 posts

Yes I noticed these walls were pretty thin. What do you mean the bottom is expanding? I was under the assumption chocolate contacted slightly once set.

Could it be the walls were too cold when I appied the cap and it was not able to melt and reset into one piece? 

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
03/22/15 05:06:33PM
194 posts

You are correct. I should have said expanding/contracting at different rates. It looks like the bottom "stuck", but snapped off where the base is.

IH
@ian-horvath
03/22/15 06:08:17PM
23 posts

Interesting, I think that could be it. So then to rememdy the situation I should keep the walls thicker, and try to keep the base the same thickness as the walls?

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
03/22/15 06:51:59PM
194 posts

Yup.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores