What is shelf life of coconut cream vs dairy cream in a ganache? Same?

Isabella Geddes
@isabella-geddes
09/29/15 03:29:22PM
6 posts

I am making a dairy free ganache, replacing the cream with coconut cream and the butter with coconut oil. Will this make my ganache have a shorter shelf life? Any idea of what the shelf life will be? Also, I'm using agave syrup as my sweetner- will this alter the shelf life since it is a wet sugar, so in turn adding more liquid to teh recipe?

Thanks!

Andrea B
@andrea-bauer
09/30/15 09:11:14PM
92 posts

I have been making dairy-free chocolates for a few years now.  I've experimented with canned coconut milk (and coconut cream), coconut oil and other nondairy milks for making ganaches.  I haven't noticed any difference in shelf life from when I made dairy ganaches to now using canned coconut milk and/or coconut oil.  I've always considered the shelf life to be about a month.  You need to consider the water content of whatever nondairy substitute you are using to help you think about the shelf life.  The higher the water content (water activity), the shorter the shelf life.  I have not used agave as a sweetener, but I'm wondering if you can think of it like glucose which can actually stabilize your product and extend its shelf life.  I found this website with specific information about agave being used as a stabilizer.  Go to: http://www.international-organics.com/info-files/Intl_Organics_Organic_Agave_Info.pdf

Hope you find success with your dairy-free chocolates. 

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores