Bulk Chocolate Suppliers

KrummsKreations
@krummskreations
03/28/16 03:34:18PM
6 posts

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, so feel free to move it if necessary! 

I fully intend on starting a small confectionery business, and I'm looking for a good place to get the chocolate for said business.

I always used Chocoley for their compound coatings, because they were seriously, the best compound chocolate I ever put in my mouth lol But they also do couverture chocolate. I've already established a 'wholesale' relationship with Chocoley (www.chocoley.com)....air quotes around wholesale because even with the wholesale discount, its still pretty expensive. Plus they make belgian chocolate - and for milk chocolate....I'm really not a fan. Theres a taste in belgian chocolate I cant put my finger on, but (at least for me) it ruins  the taste of a good chocolate.

So I'm looking for a good chocolate supplier that I could use to supply the chocolate for my eventual business...what is your favorite bulk chocolate supplier?

Clay Gordon
@clay
03/28/16 03:40:03PM
1,680 posts

Lauren -

There are two different issues at play here:

1. What chocolate you want to use.
  2. What company you are going to buy the chocolate from.

For example, you might purchase Guittard directly (a pallet at a time) or in smaller amounts through a company like Ciao Imports or Sysco.

If you were interested in using Felchlin you'd be in touch with Swiss Chalet Fine Foods out of Miami who would connect you with a local rep.

Chocosphere is a source for many different brands of chocolate for tasting and testing.

I would focus first on what chocolate brand(s) you want to use and then figure out the best supplier, which includes factors such as shipping and availability (do they always have what you want in stock).

PS. - Chocoley probably does not "make Belgian chocolate." What they do most likely is contract with a manufacturer that is associated with Belgium who supplies them product on a private-label basis. It could be Barry-Callebaut (which is really a Swiss company, now), but the product could be manufactured in Belgium - or in Vermont or Canada.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

updated by @clay: 03/28/16 03:43:08PM
KrummsKreations
@krummskreations
03/28/16 03:47:31PM
6 posts

Clay -

Im in love with your avatar haha.

I honestly have no idea what brand of chocolate I want to use. Something....not belgian? haha Maybe the question should've been "what's your favorite non-belgian, reasonably priced (on a start-up budget) chocolate"? Obviously, its opinion and what one person likes, I might not like, it just gives me something to think about and or research....ya dig?? hhahaa

As for chocoley, their website says 'Chocoley is crafted in the finest belgian traditon and proudly made in America". I don't know, the way they talk about their chocolate makes it sound like they made it.'

PS- do you know what I mean when I talk about that 'taste' I dont like in  belgian chocolate?  It's almost like an anise flavor....which I normally don't mind, I'll tear up a bag of black liccorice..but get it out of my chocolate lol

updated by @krummskreations: 03/28/16 03:58:02PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
03/28/16 03:57:53PM
1,680 posts

Thanks for the comments on my avatar. A friend of mine who is a macaron baker (ex- art director) in Amsterdam did it for me.

What does reasonably–priced mean to you? What you think is expensive might be cheap to someone else. It's important to consider where your market is - you can charge more in most big cities than in small towns so cost of chocolate is one thing to be factored in. Right now there are too many unknowns.

In what quantities do you want to buy? It may be that prices are high because you are buying in small quantities. As for a basis for comparison, take a look at the prices for couverture on Chocosphere.com and on Amazon.com. You should to that before you come back with more questions.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores