Malt extracts

Black Eagle Chocolates
@black-eagle-chocolates
11/08/16 05:04:54AM
11 posts

Hi guys.  In what form will malt best be used in chocolates; powder or liquid.  What are the effects it has on tempered chocolate or the tempering process.

Sebastian
@sebastian
11/08/16 06:50:12AM
754 posts

Adding anything with water in it is going to be problematic for you to process.  Powder will be easier.

Peter3
@peter3
11/08/16 05:20:47PM
86 posts

Use DME dry malt extracts (powdered), liquid extracts contain significant amount of water (over 15%) and getting that water out of chocolate is difficult.

There is a very wide range of malt extracts available for brewing industry and home brewing so you will be spoilt for choice.

One other thing to keep in mind is that DME is very hygroscopic which creates a few challenges in use.

Use of malt extract should have close to zero effect on tempering as does not contain any fat (and if used correctly will not introduce water). Tempering is all about cocoa butter crystalisation.

Black Eagle Chocolates
@black-eagle-chocolates
11/09/16 06:14:06AM
11 posts

Awesome.  Thanks for the advice.  Much appreciated

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores