Savage Brothers-Large Scale-Chocolate Tempering

Alexandrac
@alexandrac
01/25/17 02:06:24PM
2 posts

Hi, I am new to the chocolate life forums and hope I am posting this in the correct area. I am new to large scale chocolate tempering, and was curious if anyone out there has had any experience or information of where I can acquire information. 

The machine is 200lb temperer, 3 temperature temper program, adding cannabis oil  at melting stage (pretemper) for bar products/into molds for bars.... we are using a milk chocolate which provides its own temper temperatures (118F, 83F, 87F) which are plugged into the Savage Brothers machine.

We cannot seem to retain consistent results. We are encountering soft chocolate, which I believe is in part to undercrystallation/undertemper. 

Room temp at 68F. The bars are then taken to a walk-in which sits at 55F. 

I wonder with the amount of chocolate being tempered, if we need to adjust these temperatures or if the cannabis oil needs to be added at a temper stage versus melting stage. 

Clay Gordon
@clay
01/25/17 02:40:50PM
1,680 posts

Right off, I would look at how much oil you are adding as even small amounts can affect the development of the proper crystal structure - depending on the type of fat.

If this is the case, you'll want to start playing with time and temperature. The dosed chocolate may need to get colder at the bottom of the curve than the un-dosed chocolate and you might not want to warm it up as much. 

I might also add the oil in after the cooling cycle has started, assuming that there is enough time to mix the oil in completely so dosage is consistent throughout the chocolate.

Likely it's a combination of time, temperature, and when you add the oil. Less to do with the tempering machine itself. However, with 200lb batches, experimentation takes a while and could get expensive.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Alexandrac
@alexandrac
01/25/17 03:36:25PM
2 posts

thank you clay. we are attempting smaller batches. I appreciate the response. 

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores