01/22/09 04:05:27PM
3 posts
How do I measure 900 mgs. cocoa?
updated by @rosalind-forrest: 05/07/15 09:48:54AM
Clay Gordon
@clay
01/22/09 05:19:47PM
1,680 posts
DIAA:Actually you're not being a jerk, but if I read the question correctly, Rosalind wants to know how to measure 900 milligrams of cocoa powder - or 9/10 or 0.9 grams. That's a very good question. A scale is the way - the question is finding a scale that can accurately measure this quantity.Which turns out to be not all that difficult and they are surprisingly inexpensive. Here's one with a 55gr capacity and a .01(one one-hundredth)gr resolution.So what I want to know Rosalind is if you really do need to measure 900 milligrams I am very curious about the recipe that requires this kind of precision.:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Tom
@tom
01/22/09 05:25:24PM
205 posts
Cool little scales! I had no idea, I just weigh stuff out at work in the lab - probably not that safe. Good find.
John DePaula
@john-depaula
01/22/09 06:04:09PM
45 posts
I never need to weigh this small an amount of cocoa, but it would come in handy for small amounts of spices or even for tea.
Rosalind Forrest
@rosalind-forrest
01/22/09 06:24:17PM
3 posts
I am not cooking but doing it for medical reasons - Alternative medical reasons. My health info advised 900 mgs cocoa daily for high blood pressure. I'm a professional portrait painter who had painted 12 BIG portraits 30"x 40" each of doctors for a Regional Hospital. I had lived in the town for my entire life, moved away; then a tornado destroyed the Hospital and tore up the portraits. I was commissioned to "COPY" and replace all of the portraits. I am not a machine and can not "COPY", yet those portraits were my legacy and therefore I had to do the impossible. I worked a year under great stress, received a handsome sum for the job and went from a lifetime of normal blood pressure to 225/179. When it hits 160 that is stroke time!!!! The medical doctor's drugs didn't help the pressure at all; only caused dreadful side effects. I turned to a regime of Atlernative medicine. 900 mgs. of DARK CHOCOLATE was one of the nine weird things I took while avoiding everything else. In two months time the pressure dropped from 225 down to 114 and has stayed below 120/79 ever since. I asked the question about the prescribed 900 mgs. because it is now time to eat more normally. I'm happy with a home mixed hot chocolate every evening:Heat to 1.25 Hi- 8 ozs. milk, Stir in 1T. dark cocoa, 1 t. sugar, 3 drops vanilla,
Rosalind Forrest
@rosalind-forrest
01/22/09 06:33:53PM
3 posts
Thanks for the scales info. I may first try to see if my pharmacist will weigh out 900 mgs. of cocoa, take home the cocoa, and measure the amount in a cup or Tablespoon. If that doesn't work, I'll get the scales. Thanks Rosalind

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores