Valrhona Carre Guanaja Pieces

Rich
@rich
01/22/09 09:43:35PM
17 posts
I know there are some on this forum who are not favorably impressed with Valrhona and I am certainly not qualified to get into that discussion. However, I have been eating the individually wrapped Valrhona pieces for years and enjoy them very much. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to buy them here in Hawaii in a quantity or at a price that even remotely approaches sanity. This dilemma is what started me down the path to learn more about chocolate.My question for you experts is this: How does Valrhona make the Guanaja chocolate squares that they sell in the individually wrapped gold colored paper with a black outer wrapping? What form is it. Tempered? I would very much like to make something similar in texture and taste. I like the manner in which it melts on the top of your mouth with that silky finish. The 73% Des Alphes that I'm currently using is not cutting it. This could very well be due to my ineptitude. It just doesn't melt the same in my mouth.Any suggestions?Aloha.
updated by @rich: 05/07/15 10:03:43AM
Langdon Stevenson
@langdon-stevenson
01/23/09 02:52:33AM
51 posts
As Devil said, I think that you are going to find it very hard (if not impossible) to replicate the Valrhona product - especially taste. There are some things that you mention though that can be explained:Melting in mouth: this is at least partly due to the piece of chocolate being thin. A small, thin wafer will melt quickly where as a thick piece will not.Silky finish: this is likely to come from small particle size and extra cocoa butterLangdon
Rich
@rich
01/23/09 02:12:53PM
17 posts
Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling this is the way it would go. If it were so easy....... everyone would do it? Probably.I've tried the thin wafer method with less than satisfactory results, but thanks for the thought. I guess I'll hope for a local supplier to bring Valrhona in again.Aloha

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores