Chocolate VS couverture

Despina Antypa
@despina-antypa
10/20/09 06:35:54AM
12 posts
Hello,I am trying to do some of the recipes from Garrison book but I have a problem with the ganache. I make it with couverture, because I can't find chocolate in Greece, and the ganache is very soft. Even though I waited a day to dry. The only solution I found is to increase the amount of couverture that is said on the recipe (almost 250%), but in this way the result is a totally different thing. Any ideas what should I do?ThaksD.
updated by @despina-antypa: 04/09/15 11:03:39PM
Mark Heim
@mark-heim
10/20/09 09:29:53AM
101 posts
Couverture is chocolate but with more cocoa butter, to make it more fluid when tempered, making it easier to enrobe pieces with a thinner coating. You can compensate with adding cocoa powder but you will lose some of the smoothness. Another trick you can try is to temper the ganache, by mixing or tabling it down to room or cooler temperatures to the consistency you want before using. This is common for gianduja.
Despina Antypa
@despina-antypa
10/20/09 09:37:41AM
12 posts
Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. I will try tempering it. You thing it would be better to temper after adding the cream or if I bring the cream in 40 C and then add it to the tempered chocolate?Thanks
Despina Antypa
@despina-antypa
10/20/09 04:28:33PM
12 posts
Thanks Anthony. I will try it.
Renata Fantini
@renata-fantini
10/20/09 06:21:14PM
1 posts
Hi Despina,In my opinion it doesn't matter that you have a couverture, that is chocolate. I would add less "cream". Try to do the following: Take the amount of chocolate and break it into a small pieces. Do not melt it.Heat the cream. When it is hot, pour the cream into the chocolate. Wait for a few seconds and than mix all together. If the ganache become too liquid try to add less cream. Pay attention that the right texture will come after you have it on the refrigerator for a period of time. Try this and let me know how it works.Good luck.
Despina Antypa
@despina-antypa
10/21/09 01:20:25AM
12 posts
Hi Renata, according to the recipe I shouldn't refrigerate the ganache but I will try less cream as you suggest.Thanks
Despina Antypa
@despina-antypa
10/21/09 05:46:44AM
12 posts
Hi Robert,Thanks for the reply.Garrison recipe is simple. 200gr 64% chocolate, 224 gr heavy cream, 28 gr light corn syrup, 28 gr salted butter. The only alterations I have made are: 52% couverure, not salted butter and glucose instead of corn syrup which I think it doesn't make any different because as far as I know is the same thing. Procedure is simple as well. Chopped not melted chocolate, boil syrup with cream pour into the chocolate, stir and when the chocolate reaches 35 C add the butter. The method you are suggesting in your previous post (40 C cream into melted chocolate) as far as I know it is used in making the butter ganache (without cream).So, what do I do wrong? According to the recipe, the ganache should be firm to pipe after one hour.Are there difference between the ganache we are using for truffles and the one we use for dipping confectionery?
Despina Antypa
@despina-antypa
10/22/09 07:50:50AM
12 posts
Thanks Robert. I will try the method you suggest

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores