Crystalization of sugar

Cesar Lovon
@cesar-lovon
01/20/10 05:09:32AM
2 posts
Hello people,I have a question to a problem. I hope someone can suggest me how to proceed.I am trying to make butter fudge (mix of sugar, butter, whole milk cream). I take the mix of ingredints up to 116 C and then let it rest for 5 minutes to cool down. Then I thoroughly stirr until a homogeneous syrup is formed. Then I pour it into a metal bowl. It tastes great but I have always the same gritty texture. I have tried doing it several times. It seems that there is something in the process that makes the sugar crystals to aggregate and to make it gritty. Does anybody know how I could avoid having a gritty fudge? Maybe by adding invert sugar or glucse-fructuose syrup? or b modifying the process? Thank you for your help! Kind regards, Cezar
updated by @cesar-lovon: 04/18/15 03:53:15AM
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
01/20/10 10:04:43AM
194 posts
I would suggest adding some glucose or corn syrup to inhibit crystallization. Also, the warmer the mixture is when you stir it, the coarser the crystals will be. If you want it really smooth, let it cool down to 100F before stirring.
Cesar Lovon
@cesar-lovon
01/20/10 04:46:58PM
2 posts
Thank you Ruth. I will try both ways. I was not letting the fudge cool to 100 F. So I wll experiment and let you know the results.
Mark Heim
@mark-heim
01/20/10 06:31:21PM
101 posts
To get smaller sugar crystallization, the cooler the better, the recommended 100F will help. Also the more shear you can give it, the smaller the crystals will be, so when you beat it, put as much into it as you can, tabling like you would for tempering chocolate works nice or in a planetary mixer but watch the strain on the motor. The temperature you pour it for slabs will make it firmer or softer due to the level of sucrose still in solution and the bridging affect with further crystallization after setting.If you add additional glucose syrup you will increase the syrup phase, making the fudge softer and stickier. The polysaccharides in the syrup will make the fudge less tender. The advantage is with increased shelf life.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores