Cocoa Helpers

heather andall
@heather-andall
05/25/10 16:30:44
9 posts
Thanks to The Chocolate Life, I now know the importance of midges or sand flies, as we call them here, in relation to the fertilization of the cocoa flower. Lying under a cocoa tree today, I observed lots of other visitors. Does anyone know if lizards, millipedes, ants, birds or any other insect/ creature play an essential part in the development of the cocoa?

updated by @heather-andall: 05/21/15 17:20:12
Sebastian
@sebastian
05/25/10 17:26:53
754 posts
Well, they're an integral part of the ecosystem at large, so in that sense, certainly. Most of what you mention, however, doesn't directly fertilize the pads, if that's what you're asking...
heather andall
@heather-andall
05/25/10 18:06:33
9 posts
Thank you Sebastian,.... it wasn't the fertilization so much as i was wondering if , what and how these frequent visitors were up to......I had probably spent too long in the hot sun, .....but will still observe and see what I think they are doing.....the perfect excuse to lie on my back in the shade and take a five . The cocoa trees seem to attract more lizards than the nutmeg or other trees and the lesser Antillean bullfinches spend a lot of time pecking the branches .
Sebastian
@sebastian
05/27/10 15:04:11
754 posts
They're probably doing the same thing you are - enjoying the tree 8-)
heather andall
@heather-andall
05/28/10 09:52:42
9 posts
Ssssh.. .....it's research ! :)

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

kapil jain

kapil jain

kapil jain

@kapil-jain • 7 years ago

Chocolatevenue is an online chocolate store in India.We are specialized in customized chocolates  .Chocolates can be customized as chocolate message and chocolate bars.

You can get written your message on chocolates and can get customized your chocolate bars by selecting the desired ingredients.

for more details

colorchocolate

@colorchocolate • 7 years ago

FOR SALE / BARGAIN / FINE CACAO LIQUOR, COLOMBIA ORIGIN

Enjoy a delicious premium chocolate from the Boyacá region of Colombia, considered among the best in the world. We offer a 200 kilograms lot of pure origin cocoa liquor,  fair trade / ethically sourced. N o other ingredients added.

The price for this high quality product is as follows:

1 kg - US$ 13

100 kg - US$ 12 per kilo

200 kg - US$ 11 per kilo

Inquires: equalcolombia@gmail.com

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/colorchocolate#sthash.JFDWYFuK.dpuf

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/community/forums/my_posts/18453/fine-cacao-liquor-colombia-origin#sthash.2pUq4Eu3.dpuf

Clay Gordon

@clay • 7 years ago

FCIA Recognition of Excellence Nominations close in one week:

Clay Gordon

The 4 Chocolatiers

@the-4-chocolatiers • 7 years ago

Two changes we made with the chocolate is that this time we winnowed the chocolate. This time we didn't use a blow dryer to melt the chocolate. Two improvements with the chocolate is that the melanger didn't get clogged this time and everyone put in work.