tempering machine for lemon curd????

Sarah Hart
@sarah-hart
06/01/10 18:34:45
63 posts
I have a good friend who has a lovely cookie business called "Two Tarts" here in Portland. Amazing.wonderful cookies. We are in a small business-owner's group together and she was asking about using a tempering machine to make lemon curd. She thought it might pencil out because she has to pay to get someone to sit and stir it for the whole process, which is long. She wondered if a tempering machine (a bowl type that is continuously stirring) might work. It makes sense to me that it might- I forgot to ask about the temperature she needs. Have any of you used a tempering machine for something other than chocolate?

updated by @sarah-hart: 04/18/15 21:06:00
Kerry
@kerry
06/01/10 21:28:22
288 posts
I think a Thermomix is what she needs. It heats and stirs continuously. I make curd in mine - no real babysitting required. Just dump everything in, set temp, time and speed - Bob's your uncle.Don't think a tempering machine would reach the temperatures you need for curd.Feel free to PM me if she wants more info on the Thermomix.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Clay Gordon
@clay
06/02/10 07:32:17
1,680 posts
Tempering machines are not designed to reach the temperatures required for lemon curd.The Thermomix is an interesting option - and it appears that there is a large support community for it. It is only sold direct (though you may be able to find used ones on eBay) and the cost is not insubstantial - at least $1700 new.One drawback is the size of the container - two liters - so if you need to make lots of anything this may not be for you. However it does appear to be a very versatile machine that would have many uses in a pastry/chocolate kitchen (you could use it to make ganaches, for example, heating the cream and melting the chocolate at the same time to the exact same temp).A much larger alternative is the Pastochef from Carpigiani. Much more expensive but much higher capacity and designed from the outset for use in pastry kitchens. And - which may be another issue, is NSF approved.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Sarah Hart
@sarah-hart
06/02/10 09:25:14
63 posts
The temperature is the issue I thought might be the problem. I emailed her your feedback! Thanks.
Devika Chopra
@devika-chopra
01/17/12 05:04:33
9 posts

Hi Clay, I just had a thermomix demo at my place . I am a budding chocolatier and though the lady at the demo said TMX tempers chocolate and and there seem to be some videos online by callebaut- but they look slightly vague- and the temper tests were just not quite right( i wonder how its possible to maintain temperature when the lowest temperature is 37 degrees) . Have you tried TMX for tempering chocolate . Also for a pastry kitchen making primarily- cakes, cookies, chocolates ( with ganaches etc and use of Nuts ) do your recommend a kitchen aid or TMX or any other machine ?? Thanks

Kerry
@kerry
01/18/12 19:25:56
288 posts

Devika,

To temper in the thermomix - mix at 37 C until the chocolate is mostly melted (ie still have some unmelted chocolate in the bowl) then turn off the heat and spin at about speed 7 until the unmelted chocolate is incorporated. You should be at a proper temperature when you are done. It takes a bit of fiddling to figure the times for certain amounts of chocolate.

I don't often use the TMX to temper however - because other ways work so much better (but not as fast). The real beauty of the TMX is in making ganaches. About 5 minutes and you've got ganache ready to go.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
DeRhonda Moen
@derhonda-moen
01/19/12 19:45:52
5 posts

Has anyone tried the Cuisinart Blend and Cook Soupmaker formaking ganache? Since it is $200 or less, it could be a low cost alternative to the Thermomix.

Clay Gordon
@clay
01/19/12 22:42:28
1,680 posts

DeRhonda - unless the "stir" speed is very low on the Cuisinart machine (and I did not see it in the video), I don't see how it can work ... well.

I use an immersion blender for ganaches with great resultsand they cost $50 or less. Just make sure to get one that has infinitely variable speed control, not just set speeds.

--
Devika Chopra
@devika-chopra
01/20/12 01:33:50
9 posts

Thanks so much Kerry that really helps :)

Clay Gordon
@clay
01/20/12 08:27:50
1,680 posts

Lana: You say:

"For any chocolate makers out there, it might serve asareasonably pricedconche if the temp. can be controlled somewhat accurately."

Do you think you can reasonably run this for 8-24 hours or longer without stopping?

--
Clay Gordon
@clay
01/20/12 11:26:49
1,680 posts

The simpler way to fix this would be to add a fan w/heater to blow into the Santha/Ultra. A device with a thermostat and variable fan speed would be very easy to make and use and not require moving chocolate back and forth between two devices.

--

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

kapil jain

kapil jain

kapil jain

@kapil-jain • 7 years ago

Chocolatevenue is an online chocolate store in India.We are specialized in customized chocolates  .Chocolates can be customized as chocolate message and chocolate bars.

You can get written your message on chocolates and can get customized your chocolate bars by selecting the desired ingredients.

for more details

colorchocolate

@colorchocolate • 7 years ago

FOR SALE / BARGAIN / FINE CACAO LIQUOR, COLOMBIA ORIGIN

Enjoy a delicious premium chocolate from the Boyacá region of Colombia, considered among the best in the world. We offer a 200 kilograms lot of pure origin cocoa liquor,  fair trade / ethically sourced. N o other ingredients added.

The price for this high quality product is as follows:

1 kg - US$ 13

100 kg - US$ 12 per kilo

200 kg - US$ 11 per kilo

Inquires: equalcolombia@gmail.com

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/colorchocolate#sthash.JFDWYFuK.dpuf

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/community/forums/my_posts/18453/fine-cacao-liquor-colombia-origin#sthash.2pUq4Eu3.dpuf

Clay Gordon

@clay • 7 years ago

FCIA Recognition of Excellence Nominations close in one week:

Clay Gordon

The 4 Chocolatiers

@the-4-chocolatiers • 7 years ago

Two changes we made with the chocolate is that this time we winnowed the chocolate. This time we didn't use a blow dryer to melt the chocolate. Two improvements with the chocolate is that the melanger didn't get clogged this time and everyone put in work.